Traveler

I was shocked, absolutely shocked last month as I walked around Piazza San Marco and saw that the ancient & honorable Corps of Carabinieri had admitted women. Two officers patrolled the square; a scene familiar to anyone whos been to Venice or almost any other part of Italy. One had the high peaked cap with a silver flaming grenade, a white belt across his chest and red stripe down each leg of his trousers. The other one was cute! Wait a minute, the Carabinieri are not supposed to be cute. Big, intimidating, yes; but not cute. What is happening to Italy? Does this mean that the next time Im pulled over by the Carabinieri at a road-side stop Ill actually be able to look the officer in the eye instead of staring at the serial number of a Beretta Model 12 submachine gun? Okay, maybe this could be a good move on their part!

I was back in the square on the Day of the Republic and, as you can imagine, the place was full of uniforms of every kind. I managed to get this picture of the woman officer I saw earlier (and who appears to be an NCO) and her partner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSM01.jpg  

Traveler

I was shocked, absolutely shocked last month as I walked around Piazza San Marco and saw that the ancient & honorable Corps of Carabinieri had admitted women. Two officers patrolled the square; a scene familiar to anyone whos been to Venice or almost any other part of Italy. One had the high peaked cap with a silver flaming grenade, a white belt across his chest and red stripe down each leg of his trousers. The other one was cute! Wait a minute, the Carabinieri are not supposed to be cute. Big, intimidating, yes; but not cute. What is happening to Italy? Does this mean that the next time Im pulled over by the Carabinieri at a road-side stop Ill actually be able to look the officer in the eye instead of staring at the serial number of a Beretta Model 12 submachine gun? Okay, maybe this could be a good move on their part!

I was back in the square on the Day of the Republic and, as you can imagine, the place was full of uniforms of every kind. I managed to get this picture of the woman officer I saw earlier (and who appears to be an NCO) and her partner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The other one was cute! Wait a minute, the Carabinieri are not supposed to be cute. Big, intimidating, yes; but not cute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is the cute one?

Traveler

If he weren't smiling I don't think you'd think he was cute. If she had a machine pointed at me she'd still be cute!

Slow Traveler

And, walttom, tell us about the first time you were stopped by the Carabinieri, please.

Traveler

I've been stopped twice now. Both episodes are described somewhat in a previous post.

Premium Member
    Admin

Slow Traveler
    Well personally, I'd think he were cuter holding a sub-machine gun and in fatigues (but that's just me). She doesn't do it for me at all.

Slow Traveler

I assure that cuteness is only in appearance, these girls are tough.

and men... this one is nothing special, I would love to post some pictures of local super handsome men in uniform...I'll do it at some point!
    www.il-girasole.com

"Your mind not only wanders, it sometime leaves completely..."

Slow Traveler

Somewhere at home I have a picture taken in the main piazza of Cortona with a female officer. One of the guys in our group thought she was really pretty and, before we could stop him, he went up and asked if he could have his picture taken with her. I don't think she spoke much (if any) english and he doesn't speak much Italian, so he got away with it. However, in the picture she sure doesn't look happy about it. I wonder if he noticed the big gun on her hip before he rushed up to her?
    ellen

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

My dream as a child and teen was to become a carabinieri. Unfortunately back then, women were not allowed. I joined the US Army instead! Now we have women who are carabinieri and I am very proud if not a lot jealous! I do have my collection of Carabinieri albums (yes they make albums) and figurines as well as one that is over 7 feet tall in the corner of my office.

Premium Member

Slow Traveler

Alessandra, I, for one, would be extremely interested in seeing your photos of the local carabinieri....maybe I didn't spend enough time in Cortona last year?

Cheers,
    Sandra
    My new blog:Leaping Without a Net | [URL=http://www.amazon.com/The-Virgin-Griffin-ebook/dp/B009BMFIZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1347982405&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Virgin+and+the+Griffin]A nov

Slow Traveler

Sandrac, I have to take them first, but we have a few ones that are REALLY handsome.

Gotta come back again.

Ellens the picture you have is about a Vigile Urbano, we have no women in the local Carabinieri station yet.

Vigili Urbani are nasty by definition, and I don't think they have ever taken the gun out, all in all are nothing else than meter maids.

Carabinieri are more loved.

And Nice.
    www.il-girasole.com

Hah! This reminds me of our honeymoon and my husband referring to the female Vigili Urbani as the"fashion police" after he noticed one wearing low heeled pumps! The men had the typical black boots on...hard to imagine how a female could chase a suspect down in those shoes!

Elizabeth

Slow Traveler

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mille scarpe:
    Hah! This reminds me of our honeymoon and my husband referring to the female Vigili Urbani as the"fashion police" after he noticed one wearing low heeled pumps! The men had the typical black boots on...hard to imagine how a female could chase a suspect down in those shoes!

Elizabeth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vigili Urbani?? Running?
    The only time I have seen them running was because pasta was ready at home and they didn't want to make it cold!

PS Does it shows that I have a personal bitterness with them?
    www.il-girasole.com

Slow Traveler

And, they have to be above the norm in behaviour:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...feed=worldnews

Slow Traveler

Well.....I only clicked on this thread because I saw that Ale had posted again, and I was hoping for the pictures she promised!