Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Airfares & Airlines    When posting about airfares, use the city name, not the airport "code."

Moderators: Andrew

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
When posting about airfares, use the city name, not the airport "code." Login/Join 

Moderator Emeritus &
SlowBowl Skipper

Slow Traveler
Picture of Shannon
posted
I think the title says it all.
Thanks in advance everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shannon,

Posts: 9647 | Location: San Diego, sometimes | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Judie
posted Hide Post
I does say it all, except where does one find the key for city codes if one does not know them?

Posts: 288 | Location: Racine, WI | Registered: 21 August 2003Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus &
SlowBowl Skipper

Slow Traveler
Picture of Shannon
posted Hide Post
Judie, I meant the city NAME not code... I will change that now, I can see how it would be confusing.

This is a new forum and really new for me so bear with me if I make a few posting snafus!

Posts: 9647 | Location: San Diego, sometimes | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of TourMama
posted Hide Post
Could we also request that effective DATES be used for all these wonderful sale fares? For example - "West Coast to Paris Fare Sale from $684" applies only for departures through March 31st - but it took a while looking at Tony's post to find that critical piece of information.

Just a thought.

Judy

Posts: 10615 | Location: Berkeley, CA | Registered: 22 March 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
ok, I will post the season on the top of the body next time. it won't fit the tittle.
tony

Posts: 674 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: 08 November 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted Hide Post
I understand your concern but fares can differ from different airports in the same city. Houston Hobby and Houston Bush Intercontinental ofter have different fares to the same location.

Bill

Posts: 2914 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted Hide Post
quote:
except where does one find the key for city codes if one does not know them?

If you google "airport codes" you will find several sites like this one World-airport-codes.com

Bill

Posts: 2914 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2006Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
There's a link for FlyerTalk airport codes at the right-hand side of all discussions here; also there's http://www.iata.org/ps/publica...ges/code-search.aspx from IATA, which administers the codes; the page allows 2-way searches of airline and airport codes and names.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Gargoyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judie:
I does say it all, except where does one find the key for city codes if one does not know them?
Just google "Airport code XXX"
substituting either city name or airport code for XXX.

Posts: 370 | Location: Chicago area and Tuscany | Registered: 26 March 2006Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
This thread that started two years ago stays pinned or featured at the top of the forum: I'll go over what's been said and close the discussion.

We ask people, in topic titles and first references, to use city names rather than airport codes. I'm willing to make exceptions for some codes that are part of the popular culture, in particular LAX and JFK, but remember that not everyone reading this forum is a U.S.-based air traveler. For multi-airport cities, you may say the code after the city, such as Paris CDG. If you've said the code right after the city name, such as "Fort Lauderdale (FLL)," you may say FLL in subsequent references.

If you want to know the code, for instance to know what to put in an airfare search site, several methods have been posted here:

I'll close this discussion, but people who who have comments or want to add things can write me privately, via private message or the e-mail in my profile.

Posts: 7573 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post