Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Technology at Home and On the Go!    Which GPS allows direct input of Lat/Long?

Moderators: Roz

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Which GPS allows direct input of Lat/Long? Login/Join 

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted
I'm considering buying a new GPS.
I was with a friend last week who had a Garmin 550 and I could not find how to enter latitude/longtitude coordinates (assuming I might want to go to some place I could find on Google Earth but did not know the address for?) I did not have the manual with me so it was trial and error.

I have gone to some of the websites and can't find the info I'm looking for.

Do any of the car navigation GPS units have the feature that allows direct entry of lat/long coordinates?

Bill

Bill

Posts: 2914 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Do you want to do this in the car?

The mapsource program could do that and then download to the unit from the computer.

Or you could check out the hiking models. The screens are smaller and you don't get voice prompts. But beeps can be better. With mine you can move the cursor around on the map until it points to the right spot and create a waypoint. It's harder then inputting long/lat but better then nothing.

Posts: 2849 | Location: Medio Vastese | Registered: 07 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I think maybe the Garmin 770 (and perhaps other Garmins) allow you to do this with their "POI" software, but I am not really sure. (At this point, I've still not even ever used a GPS device. Blushing)

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you want to do this in the car?

I have a old GPS unit for my PDA and have some places located by lat/lon. Also I use Google Earth a lot and routinely get lat/lon coordinates from there and I have seen that a number of rural properties (agriturismi) in Italy are putting lat/lon coordinates on their webpages. The other reason is finding some old cemeteries that I have visited and located with lat/lon coordinates. I was guided to those, since they are long overgrown and hard to find.

When I by a model for car navigation, I want to have the capability for lat/lon input.

Bill

Bill

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
It seems you already have many [all?] of these locations. Or at least will have them before you get into the car. Using the mapsource software you can enter waypoints and then download them to the unit. I think all the Garmin car units should support this.

It won't help you if for example somebody gives you the numbers over the phone while driving but if they are on the computer to begin with then you can just download them to the GPS. Basically you're creating your own points of interest. Of course this requires you to remember to pack the cable.

Posts: 2849 | Location: Medio Vastese | Registered: 07 March 2006Report This Post

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of Jane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8118 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: 26 June 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nick and Jane

Anybody know which Tom Tom models have this feature?

Bill

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
The TomTom 920 also has this feature. Don't know about earlier ones.

- Roz

Posts: 8798 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: 01 August 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I just input (put in?) the Lat/Long coordinates for my Le Marche rental on my Garmin 770. Pretty straightforward.

Slow Traveler
Picture of Perpetual Traveler
posted Hide Post
The Garmin 670 allows for input of lat/long, too.

Alana

Posts: 222 | Location: DC Metro Area - Virginia | Registered: 02 January 2008Report This Post