Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  France    No more Auberge du Presbytère in Saignon

Moderators: Panda, Roz

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
No more Auberge du Presbytère in Saignon Login/Join 

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
Picture of Americana in Parigi
posted
According to the latest word from the Luberon, it's gone. Bankrupt. Empty.
It was the soul of the village, a place where we all inevitably congregated every night to get wifi and have a night cap or two or three.

Posts: 7785 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 01 March 2007Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
That is really a shame! Really loved that place.
I still remember eating outside and watching the
horseback riders come through, water their horses at the fountain while drinking a glasss of rose from the Auberge.

Posts: 43 | Location: Somerville, MA | Registered: 31 August 2005Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Oh no! We went there on our honeymoon and were going to have a meal there when we are in Provence next month. Frown

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
OH No! a favorite place of mine. I'll never forget on one visit,a German family sat next to us and had a son who was a tiny terror bumping into everyone's chair and stabbing into the fountain. His sister on the other hand was sweet and quite
The little Ob, short for obnoxious crossed over to the lavoir walking along the edge and fell in. I couldn't help laughing as his mother removed his clothes and he shamefully naked. She said to me you enjoyed that. I said yes, he asked for it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: cambridge,ma.usa | Registered: 27 January 2003Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Oh no, indeed.
We are booked in there next month. Noone has contacted us to cancel the booking. I shall try to get in contact.
Jamtart

Posts: 191 | Location: Lesmurdie. Western Australia. | Registered: 08 March 2007Report This Post

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7785 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 01 March 2007Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Have you heard any more Americana?
I have sent 2 emails, their website is still up and I have rung. However I get an answering machine and it is difficult to ask the machine to slow down as I only understand "slow" french. I am in a bit of a quandry...on one hand I am sure they would have advised us if they are no longer there...but if they are not we need to do some more planning quickly.
J.

Posts: 191 | Location: Lesmurdie. Western Australia. | Registered: 08 March 2007Report This Post

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Jamtart:
I called the land line and got the recording: "Sorry, the number [for the Auberge du Presbytère] can no longer take messages. Please call back."
Wait.
I just called the Mairie of Saignon and was told that the Auberge is definitely not running. I asked the nice lady if it meant you should find another lodging and she said yes.
I hope you did not lose money.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Merci mille fois Americana
I wonder how long it will be before they contact us....we will be on our way next week.
It is sad, but probably sadder for them than for us.
Back to the drawing board...
jamtart.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
For years we stayd at the Auberge Provencal in Eygaliers. The last time there we arrived to find that we were to be the only guests. The owner hwas selling the place and getting divorced. He had a cook come in the morning to make our breakfast and because we were faithful customers he didn't tell us til we arrived. It was spooky staying in an empty hotel. I'm told it is now a private home. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know as there are years of wonderful memories there for me.

Posts: 1804 | Location: cambridge,ma.usa | Registered: 27 January 2003Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I am a little overwhelmed by the support from STs.
Without you I would be blissfully unaware of an impending disaster when we arrived in Saignon...
Thank you Americana. You have magical powers.
Thank you Kaydee ...you have pointed me in the right direction and we are happily booked in at Bonnieux.
Our other bookings seem secure...France here we come !
Jamtart.

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
All I did was to make a 2-minute phone call. I didn't land a plane on the Hudson, you know. Cool
Your holiday is coming along nicely. O yes it would have been disaster if you showed up at the Place de la Fontaine to find a shuttered Auberge.
There is still the slim chance that the Auberge may contact you and offer some arrangement, but the Mairie of Saignon seemed to say don't bet on it.
Besides, you don't want to stress everyday until arrival wondering whether you will have a room or not.

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Today I actually got an email reply from the Mairie de Signon.
"Pour l’instant l’auberge fait l’objet d’une procédure collective, elle est fermée.
Nous n’avons pas plus d’informations
La commune n’est pas informée des suites de cette affaire privée."
(The Auberge is undergoing a court-ordered insolvency procedure and is closed.
We have no information.
The commune is not informed of the outcome of this private matter. )

So sad.

posted Hide Post
I was booked in there in May and received an email advising me of a "force majeur" that required them to close. They advised:

> > L'auberge du presbytere is forced to close temporarily.
> > Please accept our apologies. Hopefully we have the problems rectified soon.
> > We can provide the information about hotels and restaurants in the area
> > In Saignon, Chambres d'hôtes 06 88 72 94 61 or 04 90 04 85 01 with the restaurant le comptoir du Baltazar
> 04 90 04 63 55,
> > In Bonnieux, le clos du buis 04 90 75 88 48(beautiful rooms, restaurants in the village) OR
> l'hôtel le César 04 90 75 96 35 (rooms with terrace and restaurant on site).
> > All three accomodations have availability in April.

I am glad I didn't buy their "hope to reopen soon" line and made other plans.

I have stayed at this place several times and loved it. Sad to see it go.

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Le Clos du Buis is wonderful. Great view too.

Yes, definitely worth paying a bit extra for a room with views out across the valley to Lacoste.

- Roz

Posts: 9012 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: 01 August 2004Report This Post