Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  France    best scenic route provence to paris

Moderators: Panda, Roz

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
best scenic route provence to paris Login/Join 
Slow Traveler
posted
we'll be taking 3 days to travel back to paris from provence in mid july. mappy shows the route which goes through lyon, macon and auxerre on the (i don't know the french word -- autostrada, autobahn?) can anyone recommend a pleasant and scenic route, which would allow for 2 or 3 nights of stopovers and a little bit of looking around during the day? this is to break up an otherwise long shlepp in the car. it doesn't matter whether it's partly on the highway, or all, or not at all.

thank you.

Slow Traveler
Picture of L Jones
posted Hide Post
What town in Provence will you be leaving?
Linda

Posts: 1591 | Location: Near Chicago | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
not sure yet, but probably cassis or near there. i didn't mention that we'd like to break up the trip into about a 3-hour drive per day. but that can vary considerably: if the best route takes us, say, 4 1/2 one day and less another, that'll be worth it.

thanks

Slow Traveler
Picture of mpprh
posted Hide Post
Hi

A bit out of your way, but worth researching A75/A71 via the new Millau bridge.

Peter

Posts: 428 | Location: Languedoc, France | Registered: 24 September 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
When we drove from Provence to Paris in 2002, we went via Burgundy and stopped for two nights in Beaune, which is a beautiful town. There is lots to do and see in that area. I think it took us maybe 5 hours to drive from Bonnieux to Beaune. (The highways in France, by the way are autoroutes.)

We stayed a bit outside of Beaune (economy move), but I think it would have been worth paying a bit more to stay in the town. I can recommend two good restaurants: Ma Cuisine and Le Gourmandin.

Posts: 9019 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: 01 August 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of pedmar
posted Hide Post
Well Roz knows the ways around. His is a great suggestion;i second it.
and please do stay in Beaune;beautiful place.
thats the A7/A6/A31 route where the A is autoroute.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
autoroute: thanks for the word!!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Anne W
posted Hide Post
We drove this route a few years ago, stopping on the way to celebrate a special birthday. The first night, we spent in a B & B in the Beaujolais area, which we loved. Rolling hills covered with vines, charming villages tucked in the valleys. Then a night in the historic hilltop pilgrimage village of Vezelay.
Both were gorgeous areas which we'd like to explore more.
Anne

Posts: 576 | Location: Washington DC suburbs, Aix en Provence | Registered: 11 January 2006Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
i'm leaning towards burgundy because it seems direct and also beautiful. i like the pictures i've seen of noyers. that might be a good choice for the second and third night. i'm still looking for a nice place to spend the first night.