Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Spain & Portugal    Alhambra from Sevilla - guided tour? How to go?

Moderators: Panda, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Alhambra from Sevilla - guided tour? How to go? Login/Join 
posted
We will be in Sevilla during Feria this April 18th-22nd. We want to go to Granada for a day trip on one of those days to see Alhambra. I have a few questions about visiting Granada/Alhambra.

There is a guided tour that leaves from Sevilla:
http://www.alhambragranada.inf...r-visit/from-sevilla

1. Does anyone know anything about this tour? What type of transportation does it provide from Sevilla?

2. Do we need a guided tour for Alhambra or is it easy to explore on our own? We will have our 2 year old daughter with us (plus my husband's parents, so 5 people total).

3. If we don't take this guided tour that leaves from Sevilla, should we buy tickets with a reserved time in advance? If you do this, do you have to wait in line?

4. What else should we do in Granada (on a day trip) if we have extra time after seeing Alhambra?

Anything else I should know?

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
Picture of Americana in Parigi
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Slowtravel.
quote:
1. Does anyone know anything about this tour? What type of transportation does it provide from Sevilla?

I was in Seville and then went to Granada for a long wkend, mainly to see the Alhambra. Sorriest I have no knowledge of this tour because with the distance time covered, Alhambra as a day trip is just too uncomfortable, leaving no time to see Granada, and taking a day from beautiful Seville on what is principallyl a day of commute.
You mean the type of transportation is not specified in the tour description? This is very strange tour organization.
quote:
2. Do we need a guided tour for Alhambra or is it easy to explore on our own? We will have our 2 year old daughter with us (plus my husband's parents, so 5 people total).

It is very easy to explore on ones own. With the different ages of your group, touring by yourselves has its advantages.
quote:
3. If we don't take this guided tour that leaves from Sevilla, should we buy tickets with a reserved time in advance? If you do this, do you have to wait in line?

Yes. Practically no. About 15 minutes.
quote:
4. What else should we do in Granada (on a day trip) if we have extra time after seeing Alhambra?

You have no time to see anything. Travel time between the two cities is about 3 hours in the best conditions. That makes 6 hours round trip. And the road is boring. Please do yourselves a favor - in terms of your own enjoyment - and give yourselves at least 2 days in Granada.

Posts: 7736 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 01 March 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that guided tour is from the official Alhambra website.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough time on the trip to spend two days in Granada. I realize that we won't be able to see much else in the city. If we take the guided tour, it leaves really early in the morning and you spend about 4 or 5 hours at Alhambra, and then have a few hours in the city.

If we don't take the guided tour, do we take a train? I couldn't find any schedules between Sevilla and Granada on Rail Europe.

Moderator Emeritus &
SlowBowl Skipper

Slow Traveler
Picture of Shannon
posted Hide Post
It's not the official website Sunrise... that would be this one, I believe -
http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/

You can take the bus to Granada but it takes THREE HOURS each way.

If you are going to do this I'd go with the guided tour - not cheap, but at least you'd be picked up and taken around once you get there. It would be a long day. Personally I would just save Granada for another trip - how about going to Cordoba for a day trip? Much closer, much more easily done without 6 hours on a bus and hundreds of euros out of pocket...

Posts: 9662 | Location: San Diego, sometimes | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
The Alhambra is easy and much more enjoyable to explore at your own pace, especially with parents and a little one.

If you don´t go with the group it is vital you book tickets beforehand at busy times. It´s easy to spend 4/5 hours or more at The Alhambra alone, I´d suggest either the city or The Alhambra for a one day trip.

No train station at Granada yet, but a station for the AVE is being discussed, not much help to you I know.

Have a great trip - I know you will!

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
No train station at Granada yet, but a station for the AVE is being discussed, not much help to you I know.

Then the Granada train station where I got off must have been a phantom station.
No Comment

Posts: 7736 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 01 March 2007Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I got on a train in that same mirage, Americana Smile

Veronica in France
La Recette du Jour
Twitter: veronicafrance

Posts: 906 | Location: France | Registered: 09 February 2005Report This Post

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I waved at you.
Happy

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not the official website Sunrise... that would be this one, I believe -
http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/

Thanks, Shannon.

We may just take the guided tour. I am not sure when we will come back to Spain, and I don't think my in-laws will probably ever go back, so this is their only chance to see Alhambra. I know it will be a long day, but that's ok. The rest of our trip will be more slow-paced.

There must be a train between Sevilla and Granada though. Right? Does anyone know why the schedule is not on Rail Europe?

How long does the train take between Sevilla and Granada? Two and a half hours? Three?

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I had a look on the RENFE website, and the train from Sevilla to Granada takes 3 hours. The earliest you can get to Granada is about 10 am, and the last train back leaves just before 9 pm. So with a long, tiring day, you could have a full day in Granada.

Veronica in France
La Recette du Jour
Twitter: veronicafrance

Posts: 906 | Location: France | Registered: 09 February 2005Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus &
SlowBowl Skipper

Slow Traveler
Picture of Shannon
posted Hide Post
Sunrise, when I was in northern Ireland last summer my friend and I took a day tour on a big bus. We wanted to go to the Giant's Causeway and to take the bus from Belfast would have taken hours like you are looking at here - so we ended up taking a tour. It was a LONG day - 10 AM to 8 PM! But we had a fantastic time and we got to see a lot more than just the Giant's Causeway.

So - you know you are in for a long day, just go and enjoy the ride. Big Grin

It sounds like that tour is for 1-6 people so maybe it is a small van they take you in and you'd be in a small group.

You could also contact Shawn at azahar-sevilla, she does tours around Sevilla and she may know of other Granada tours that you can check out. Here is the website - http://azahar-sevilla.com/

Posts: 9662 | Location: San Diego, sometimes | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Second Shannon's choice. Azahar is the best.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunrise0407:

There must be a train between Sevilla and Granada though. Right? Does anyone know why the schedule is not on Rail Europe?

How long does the train take between Sevilla and Granada? Two and a half hours? Three?

The difficulty you are encountering could be that the official train service website covering Spain is RENFE
Until later this year, and because of changes to European Customer laws, you should look at only this website for train information here in Spain.
I confess to know nothing about the ins and outs of Rail Europe, so I looked it up on WIKI
It sells trains passes. Perhaps a one of journey like this is not their market?
Veronica in France has given you the basics of the journey time etc.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Galicia Spain | Registered: 16 April 2008Report This Post