Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Everything About Travel    What does Operated by . . mean

Moderators: Roz, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What does Operated by . . mean Login/Join 

Hero-2006

Slow Traveler
Picture of Cristina
posted
I know, I should know this but I am wondering, If I book a flight on Lufthansa and it says it is Lufthansa flight #### operated by United Airlines, does this mean the plane is a United plane (with UNITED written on the side of it) or just that it is staffed by United personnel or something else.

I do not want to fly United etc. and I have to go stateside so am trying to find the best fit for me. Lufthansa to Munich/Frankfort then SFO seems good but I just want to be as sure as possible.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Siena, Italy | Registered: 17 September 2001Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
United and Lufthansa are part of Star alliance. Within the alliance, certain routes are shared by the member airlines - just as they are within the 'Oneworld' alliance of which AA and BA are members. My guess is your selected route is one such sharing, otherwise called a 'codeshare.' You could well be flying UA's metal and be served by UA crew.

Why don't you want to fly UA?

Hero-2006

Slow Traveler
Picture of Cristina
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is FEAR. I haven't flown since 2001 and now that I will be flying with the kids, I just am trying to console myself. I guess the idea of flying a US company now scares me more than I knew.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide which flight to book and am totally at a loss.

FLR to SFO, not going through the UK, as few stops as possible (pref. 1 since I will have an 8 and a 6 year old with me) Any thoughts on the most secure airlines?

Posts: 4363 | Location: Siena, Italy | Registered: 17 September 2001Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
Many of the US airlines partner with European Airlines now. If you book Delta, it can be a codeshare with Air France or Alitalia. I think you should book the airline with the best routing and price and don't worry about which airline it is.

Remember, in this last thing in England, they had planned on bombing British Airways flights to the US as well as US airlines (didn't they? do I have that right?).

Posts: 26647 | Location: Gloucestershire | Registered: 15 June 2001Report This Post

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of Jane
posted Hide Post
Cristina, if it says operated by United it will be a United plane (with United written on it.) You would be flying United. We always fly United--even with Casey.

Posts: 8150 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: 26 June 2001Report This Post