Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  The Rest of Europe    Is there an equuivalent to CVS or Walgreens in Europe?

Moderators: Doru, teaberry

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is there an equuivalent to CVS or Walgreens in Europe? Login/Join 
Traveler
posted
I'm going to be in Switzerland and northern Italy and haven't been able to find if there's an equivalent European store simalar to a US CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc.

I'm wondering if there's some store I can purchase "daily needs" stuff like shave cream, toothpaste and (a daily need for me), Protein Bars like Atkins or Southbeach.

thanks,
bert

Posts: 30 | Location: USA | Registered: 13 January 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Mary Hitt
posted Hide Post
In the area we visit in Abruzzo, there is a large store, similar to a Wal-Mart in what they carry (not sure about the prices), called IPER. I have seen billboards for them in other places in Italy.

Here is their website (in Italian), where you can search for a location near you: IPER

Posts: 511 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA suburb | Registered: 04 June 2005Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
most any food market carries most anything you would need in the way of toiletries. they might not have the latest and greatest disposable electric versions that you would find in the states but adequate for travel purposes. i imagine that the larger markets (Coop in Italy) would have protein bars but perhaps not the brands that you are used to. Pack a few for safety. A porchetta pannini is my pick for a hi9gh energy snack!

Posts: 430 | Location: falmouth , MA USA | Registered: 09 December 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Yes any large supermarket in Italy will stock all that. Brands will vary. Outside of the bars even the smallest shop should have the other items.

Coop is just one chain.

Posts: 3063 | Location: Medio Vastese | Registered: 07 March 2006Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick responses! I checked out the COOP and IPER - they look like great.

And I found "Migros" in Zurich that sounds wonderful.

bert

Posts: 30 | Location: USA | Registered: 13 January 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
In Italy, although not in Switzerland, there are the Carrefour stores, huge box stores like Wal-Mart. Carrefour also owns the GS store chain in Italy. You can see the locations here.

ellen

Posts: 4398 | Location: mahwah, new jersey, usa | Registered: 10 December 2003Report This Post