Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  The Rest of Europe    Health insurance traveling Europe/Humana Gold

Moderators: Doru, teaberry

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Health insurance traveling Europe/Humana Gold Login/Join 
Traveler
posted
Does anyone know about getting short coverage health insurance for Europe?
We read medicare doesn't cover in Europe.
Does Humana Gold?
Thanks!

Slow Traveler
Picture of pedmar
posted Hide Post
no US insurance covers you in Europe. heard BC and BS does but very long on paperwork at the American Hospital in Paris.

best bet is to use a short term policy. A few years back got here and it was good for my parents.
www.globalmedicalplans.com ask for Patricia Hamrick

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedmar:
no US insurance covers you in Europe.

My Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy does cover me in Europe, Pedmar. But you're right about the paperwork--any claims have to be filed in English and that could mean a lot of translation!

Posts: 903 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 25 April 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy does cover me in Europe

My HMO (not Blue Cross/Blue Shield) also covers emergency care in Europe, as do many others. They cover emergency "out-of-service-area" emergency services regardless of where they're obtained. The problem is, as indicated, with the paperwork--I'd have to pay the health care provider directly and then file a claim within my HMO.

Because your coverage for any health plan, whether HMO or fee-for-service or whatever, depends not only on what company you use but also on which of their plans you have, to get reliable coverage information you're best off contacting your insurer.

Posts: 890 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 28 June 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Fibonacci
posted Hide Post
On my last trip, I bought a policy from Travelguard that had a small amount of medical insurance (~$25000 coverage medical) and a BIG Medical Evacuation benefit ($500,000) It cost about $60 for a three week trip.

It even had $750 theft and loss benefit which came in handy since my camera was stolen in Rome.

Bill

Posts: 2920 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Charity B.
posted Hide Post
The insurance premium is based on age of traveler. If Boisetravelers are on Medicare, they are in my age group, and the Travelguard premiums will be much higher than that $60 paid by Fibonacci. Some insurers won't even accept your application if you are "of a certain age."

On our last two trips to Europe, we bought AirMed evacuation insurance at $295 for two persons. That covers transportation back to the US if injured or killed, which can be an expensive trip, otherwise.

Older folks are more likely to fall down or fall ill or die while traveling, so we consider the evacuation insurance worthwhile. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield for medical treatment.

Charity

Posts: 2826 | Location: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Report This Post