Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Bill Thayer sightings?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, Kim, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bill Thayer sightings? Login/Join 
Slow Traveler
posted
Is anyone going to see Bill before 1 April? If so, could you e-mail or PT me to get my phone number to give to him? I had no phone/internet connection just before he left and didn't get this number to him in time.
Thanks --
{changing title and adding link to his web site}

>> Who is Bill Thayer and why do we miss him? - Bill is a regular on this message board, but left mid February for a three month trip to Italy. He will not be online again until May. Read all about Bill on his web site - trip diaries and lots of great information on Italy. -- Pauline <<

[This message was edited by Pauline on 14 March 2004 at 06:18 PM.]

Karen viaMartina

Posts: 462 | Location: Pittsburgh to Santarcangelo di Romagna, Italy, and now, Savannah GA  | Registered: 08 July 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Barbara (and Art)
posted Hide Post
Karen, I thought he said he would put his Italian phone numbers on the trip calendar...have you checked there? I obviously haven't looked there yet, but wanted to answer this quickly.

Posts: 6513 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 29 June 2001Report This Post
<Carole R>
posted
Yes, that's right. You can also e-mail this information and his partner will pass it on.
Carole Smile Smile

Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
While Bill is in Umbria, I am going to keep this thread at the top of the Italy forum. Anyone who meets him over there or hears from him, post here so we can follow his trip.

Posts: 26647 | Location: Gloucestershire | Registered: 15 June 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Wendy & Rob
posted Hide Post
The Queen You are the queen, Pauline. Great idea, we look forward to hearing about everybody's sightings of Bill. Vegetarians!!
Thanks
W.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Monterey Peninsula, California, USA | Registered: 07 September 2003Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Deborah
posted Hide Post
Bill is going to get such a kick out of it when he finds out we are trying to track his movements! I do suggest you guys start looking for dusty roads with lots of old rocks around. That's where he is likely to be.
Pauline, could you post one of those maps where every day you draw a colored line to show his starting point and ending point? That would be cool.

Deborah Horn
In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
-----------------------------------
www.petsburg.com
My blog: Old Shoes - New Trip

Posts: 6174 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: 04 September 2001Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
I so much wish he could go online from his place in Umbertide. Just a quick nightly posting would let us follow along. Three months is too long for him to be away (from us)!!

I think Dean and Steph will be seeing him in Rome tomorrow - isn't there a GTG?

Posts: 26647 | Location: Gloucestershire | Registered: 15 June 2001Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus &
SlowBowl Skipper

Slow Traveler
Picture of Shannon
posted Hide Post
I think I saw Bill Thayer in a supermarket in Omaha!!! Big Grin

Posts: 9663 | Location: San Diego, sometimes | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I tried to call Bill yesterday, but just got the answering machine. I left him a message with our phone numbers, and told him to call if he gets to our area!

Posts: 6513 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 29 June 2001Report This Post

Forum Admin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Kim
posted Hide Post
It's like Where's Waldo - hmmm...maybe more like Where in the World is Carmen San Diego!

Love the map idea

Posts: 23872 | Location: NJ USA | Registered: 16 June 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Or Matt Lauer. Wink Grin

"I am a Southerner. I like the feel of these words. I could no more be otherwise than I could shed my outer skin or change the color of my eyes." Willie Morris

Posts: 1590 | Location: on the Alabama River | Registered: 22 July 2002Report This Post

Forum Admin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Kim
posted Hide Post
Okay - so according to Tony, Bill was at the Rome GTG yesterday. Who's updating the map?

Slow Traveler
Picture of Elizabeth Reilly Baruch
posted Hide Post
Wow, who knew Bill was elusive enough to have various sightings posted of him around the world. I met him for the first time last night at the GTG put together by Dean here in Rome.
I then had the sheer luck of being seated next to him at dinner and then spent the following three hours laughing my fool head off.
Enthralled is probably the right word to use.
Elizabeth
a new member of the Bill Thayer fan club

Posts: 189 | Location: Los Angeles/Rome | Registered: 14 October 2003Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
For any new people reading this, Bill Thayer runs an excellent, non-commercial, web site with great information for Italy and his travel diaries:
Bill Thayer's Web Site

Elizabeth, I am jealous. I want to meet Bill Thayer too!!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Joanna
posted Hide Post
Well, Pauline, you'll just have to come to the Umbria GTG in May.

Posts: 1676 | Location: Castiglione d'Orcia (SI) | Registered: 13 June 2002Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
May? Hummm, my calendar seems quite clear in May ...

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Livinwell:
I do suggest you guys start looking for dusty roads with lots of old rocks around. That's where he is likely to be.
_.

Right about now I would look along the sketchy trails that lead to Umbriano, reported to be the oldest town in Umbria. Although it is an abandoned town now, it has been purchased for restoration. Another example of a restored town close by is Labro, where Umbria and Lazio meet.

After that, his trail will head towards Abruzzo, where he will be in search of the church with the spring running beneath it. Perhaps the information i forwardedI got from friends to help him find it was helpful, but he never did let me know. I look forward to news of his success. Does this mean Carol, another curious traveler is there too?

Pat

Posts: 1175 | Location: Rochester, NY and Bonita Springs, Fl | Registered: 18 September 2002Report This Post
<Carole R>
posted
Dear Pat and all, the best laid plans of........Which means that I am not yet in Italy having experienced further delay due to changing home. On our last contact, I freed Bill to pursue our tunnel should the opportunity arise (convenience wise) given his huge list of places to go. So....I may not get there until late April, early May. If he hasn't been by the time I arrive we will "do" the tunnel together....failing that, probably just Carole Roach's Italy LOL, will be the joint adventure. Thank you Pat for all of your help.....Bill hasn't been in a position to inform you of his intentions because of my lateness. I am still hoping that he doesn't go to the Abruzzo church before I arrive but that decision is now in the lap of the Gods, so to speak.
Carole Smile Smile

Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Deborah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pauline:
May? Hummm, my calendar seems quite clear in May ...

Not any more it isn't. We will expect you and Steve in Umbertide -- in front of the church -- 9 May -- high-noon, for our trip to MdM.

Deborah Horn
In a previous life I was an Umbrian sunflower farmer. I want to do a past life regression and stay there.
www.petsburg.com

Posts: 6174 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: 04 September 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carole R:
Dear Pat and all, the best laid plans of........Which means that I am not yet in Italy having experienced further delay due to changing home.
Carole Smile Smile

So sorry for your delay. I feel your disappointment. When the research is done, be sure to include me in the findings. Abruzzo is always part of my itinerary.
Pat

Posts: 1175 | Location: Rochester, NY and Bonita Springs, Fl | Registered: 18 September 2002Report This Post
<Carole R>
posted
Well that means that we all may meet you Pauline at Umbertide.
Carole Smile Smile

Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Wendy & Rob
posted Hide Post
And he's only been gone a week! Frown
How many more?
Eleven more! Eek
Oh NO!!!!
Wendy & Rob

Posts: 5787 | Location: Monterey Peninsula, California, USA | Registered: 07 September 2003Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
Carole R - hope that you will let us all know about your trip to Abbruzzo. We had plans to visit next February, but these plans have been put on hold until a later time. Our grandparents were born in Abbruzzo and we look forward to the time that we can connect with our past.

Posts: 58 | Location: Acushnet, MA, USA | Registered: 21 June 2002Report This Post
<Carole R>
posted
Indeed I will write about Abbruzzo but Bill's account will be the one to wait for, he's the talented one in this regard ......... also takes magnificent photos. We all have our own perspective though so I hope what I write will interest you.

Talking about photos has anything come of the Rome GTG yet?
Regards,
Carole Smile Smile

Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of dean
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of Bill at the GTG with Mary and Tom from AOL.

Slow Travel Wine Notes
Restaurant Lists: Toscana * Veneto * Venezia
"Every body has the right to their dreams" --- Stephen Sondheim from Assassins
My Dream: Dino

Posts: 4646 | Location: Casa del Fenicottero Rosa, Silver Spring, MD USA | Registered: 06 August 2002Report This Post
<Carole R>
posted
Hi Dean, So is this like the story of the Emporor's new clothes?
Carole. Smile Smile

Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of dean
posted Hide Post
You guys can be so literal.... actually having to have the pic posted to see it!

Slow Travel Wine Notes

Bill's Back

Posts: 4646 | Location: Casa del Fenicottero Rosa, Silver Spring, MD USA | Registered: 06 August 2002Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen
posted Hide Post
Umm...
Did anyone take a picture of Bill T from the front??

Posts: 16402 | Location: The Beautiful San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 06 August 2001Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of dean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colleen:
Umm...
Did anyone take a picture of Bill T from the front??

Colleen, if you want to see his face all you have to do is turn your monitor around!

The group photo was on film and I will get the negative scanned sometime soon. I hope. Right after I finish scanning the negatives from my last trip!

Slow Travel Wine Notes

Forum Admin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Kim
posted Hide Post
Bill's like that guy on Home Improvement, Wilson, you never get to see his face Smile.

<Carole R>
posted
Don't know about any of this Dean, but thanks anyway. I can see that there a six oclock shadow on his upper lip..........ROTFLOL.

Bye all and thanks,
Carole Smile Smile

Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
1300 viewings? If there was any doubt about how popular Bill is ...

ellen

Posts: 4398 | Location: mahwah, new jersey, usa | Registered: 10 December 2003Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Chris
posted Hide Post
1300! That is absolutely amazing. Imagine how many there would be if we could see his face. Happy

Posts: 8229 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 18 June 2001Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
I talked to Bill about an our ago. We have never met but my husband and I will be in his area on Tuesday so called to see if he wanted to go to lunch. We will pick him up in Umbertide on Tuesday and lunch in Spello. So, if any one has a message or number to deliver I will do so.

Posts: 62 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 15 January 2002Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Deborah
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jeannie. Please. Tell him that our MdiM get together is up to 16 people. Tell him we have decided to gather in front of the duomo at Noon and caravan to MdiM. Tell him that we assume that if he isn't there, he will be waiting for us at MdiM. Thanks!!!

Deborah Horn
www.petsburg.com

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Is there really a Bill Thayer? I'm going to check the urban legends website. Wink Grin

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
My family owns the house in Umbertide where Bill is staying. Livinwell, there isn't a duomo in Umbertide; do you mean the Collegiata octagonal church? Or was it established that you're meeting in a Duomo in another town?

Posts: 7765 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Deborah
posted Hide Post
Hi grif305, how cool to have someone who knows Umbertide so well on the ST boards!
Yes, you are right. I got the name Duomo stuck in my head on our first trip (10 years ago). Back then, to me every church in Italy was a Duomo. Somehow, I've never gotten over calling the one in Umbertide that. But, I have to say that I am unfamiliar with the name Collegiate. I thought it's actual name was Santa Maria della Reggia.

Deborah Horn
www.petsburg.com

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Yes, around town it's called Chiesa della Collegiata, but the formal name is S. Maria della Reggia. Do a Google search for Collegiata Umbertide; the first thing that comes up is a picture that Bill Thayer took.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Bill last evening (got the number here, Thanks Barb). I told him about this thread and he was amused, saying 'just remember I will get to read it in May'.

The weather is not bothering him, except to take special care of the camera with the rain and cold. At this point he is focusing on the first concentric circle, Umbertide and it's castles. He has added 2 more communes to his Umbria list - just 15 remain unvisited. The 'discovery' of the trip, he said, is the medieval castle town of Corciano.

Also, on another note, he went to visit the Bee-hive in Rome, had a tour from Mario, and will be staying there later in the trip. He said it was a good neighborhood, safe and better than he remembered from the past. Recommended.

Then we talked about ice skating and skaters (I'll spare you)! He may swing by my area later this month. Will keep you posted.

Karen viaMartina

Posts: 462 | Location: Pittsburgh to Santarcangelo di Romagna, Italy, and now, Savannah GA  | Registered: 08 July 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Diva
posted Hide Post
For Bill's info.. There is a fabulous creche scene in the whole village of Corciano that is life size clay figures, in costume..really beautiful!
found the village in helping a friend search for lost relatives... one of which has a art gallery there!

Posts: 5583 | Location: Florence / Certaldo Italy | Registered: 01 December 2001Report This Post

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
Tell Bill a big hello from Pauline!!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Bill Thayer
posted Hide Post
He called about 3 hours ago from Monte Castello di Vibio, where (with Thayer luck) the theater, usually closed on the weekends, was about to be opened for a tourist visit.

Bill, Monte Castello, and I have a long history. I try (so far successfully) to avoid going there, and he doesn't. When he called, he said "guess where I am?" and I immediately answered "Monte Castello di Vibio?" As you walk around Umbria with Bill, from time to time he will say "Look, you can see Monte Castello!", while pointing to a chicken or a dog or a cloud. On one memorable occasion, he told me that a train barely visible miles off down a valley was headed towards Monte Castello di Vibio....

Bill's partner

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
Bill's Partner - James (if I remember right)!! How wonderful of you to post!! It sounds like he is having a great time!

Monte Castello official site (in Italian)

Bill's Page on Montecastello

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Thayer:
[...] As you walk around Umbria with Bill, from time to time he will say "Look, you can see Monte Castello!", while pointing to a chicken or a dog or a cloud. On one memorable occasion, he told me that a train barely visible miles off down a valley was headed towards Monte Castello di Vibio....
Hi, Bill's partner!
After enjoying your amusing comments about Bill and Monte Castello, I'm off to check those links Pauline posted. Smile

Posts: 16402 | Location: The Beautiful San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 06 August 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Joanna
posted Hide Post
Hi, James

Say "hi" to Bill from Joanna. Looking forward to meeting him at the GTG. Wish you were going to be there, too. How does it feel to be partnered with a 'minor cult figure'?

Posts: 1676 | Location: Castiglione d'Orcia (SI) | Registered: 13 June 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Bill Thayer
posted Hide Post
I hadn't actually ever seen the board before. Bill asked me to check something he thought he may have put in a message. I got on and saw as the first item "Sightings?" Pretty darned spooky, let me tell you. Then rolling on the floor laughing, what with the back of Bill's head and Waldo and Blue's Clues.

As for saying hi, to tell the truth, you guys are more likely to hear from him (and of course to see him) than I am. We are practicing Frugality, which means not a lot of phone calls (although, praise be, some angel talked him out of sleeping in a tent in Puglia -- a bit of Frugality I was very eager that we should not practice). So say hi to him from me,

James

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
We expect to hear ...and see!...Bill one day this week. When we spoke with him last weekend, he was on his way to Corciano, and said that he would wait til he was reasonably sure of three good weather days in a row, and it looks as if that might be this week! Since we don't know what twists and turns Bill's plan might have taken, we just have to wait for his call. We'll keep you posted!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
We heard from Bill tonight! And, BTW, he seemed (less than) thrilled with the picture showing the back of his (bald) head! There There And yes, he does have a computer with him!

Anyway, he is planning to walk from Marsciano to Citta della Pieve, and will stop here on his way. He plans to begin this journey next Tuesday, March 24th, with a backup date of Friday, March 27, weather permitting, of course. I'll try to take of picture of his better side and post it, just so everyone can know who to be on the lookout for! Wink

Founder

Slow Traveler
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
His profile has a nice photo. Click on his name in the above post by his partner and select "View Profile".

But a recent photo would be appreciated.