Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Help!! Is it safe to give passport detail out?

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, Kim, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Help!! Is it safe to give passport detail out? Login/Join 
Traveler
posted
I am booking and putting a deposit down for an apartment in Venice and out of the 5 places I have booked, this is the first time I have been asked for my passport details. On a return document he is asking for my passport number and I don't know if it's safe to give it to him.
Can I get some feedback.
Also he is asking for 400,00 euro for a damage deposit. Does that seem a little steep?

Diane

Slow Traveler
Picture of ValerieB
posted Hide Post
Diane,

It is not unusual to give your passport to the Reception Desk of a hotel when you are checking in. IMO 400E is not an uncommon damage deposit for an apartment that is nicely decorated. I've never had a rental agency or owner request this damage deposit before a rental contract has been signed; some of the rental contracts require Country of Origin and Passport #. Is this an agency or a VRBO?

Val

Posts: 342 | Location: California | Registered: 19 September 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I've never had to send my passport number ahead of my arrival in Italy to anyone. When I check in to a hotel or apartment in Italy, the reception takes my passport to fill in a form and then returns it to me within a couple of hours.

The only times I've ever been asked for passport details pre arrival was for a private tour in St. Petersburg, Russia and by the airlines before a flight.

Hero-2009, 2012

Slow Traveler
Picture of Americana in Parigi
posted Hide Post
I have been asked to send a damage deposit and also to provide my passport info. Not for every rental, but it happens. In all rentals that have a nice interior and antique furniture, one can expect to give a damage deposit. The highest deposit I have ever given was 1000 euro. When we saw the beautiful interior, we joked that it was worth it to give up on the deposit and run out with the period furniture on our back. We would have come out wayyyyyy ahead.

Maybe since I only rent from renters who have received good reviews here and elsewhere, I have never had problem.

Bon voyage.

Posts: 7736 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 01 March 2007Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
It seems very intrusive, I know, but as the owner of a rental apartment, I am required by my province (Siena) to ask for certain information of all non-EU renters. Included in the info are passport details. With this information, I must fill out a form that I send to my town hall so the local police department will know who is in town at any given time.
Prior to owning an apartment, we were asked for similar info whenever we rented an apartment.

Posts: 270 | Location: Beaufort SC, Val d'Orcia | Registered: 25 January 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonphligh:
It seems very intrusive, I know, but as the owner of a rental apartment, I am required by my province (Siena) to ask for certain information of all non-EU renters. Included in the info are passport details. With this information, I must fill out a form that I send to my town hall so the local police department will know who is in town at any given time.

How far in advance is this information required by the police? Are apartment owners asking prior to arrival to make it easier on themselves (getting the paperwork out of the way), or do the police want the information before renters actually arrive?

I've been asked for passport information as well, but never prior to arrival.

ellen

Posts: 4398 | Location: mahwah, new jersey, usa | Registered: 10 December 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Robert Rainey
posted Hide Post
Exactly what could they do with the information that they could not do later once they had your passport? RR

Posts: 8842 | Location: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: 08 November 2002Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Basically, the information is required upon the arrival of the guests. So, because I am in the U.S., I gather the info ahead of time and submit it to coincide with their arrival.
On site owners (those that actually live in the town where their rental is located) should be able to take care of the reporting upon arrival.
But as the requirements vary from province to province, there may be many different ways of doing this reporting.

Posts: 270 | Location: Beaufort SC, Val d'Orcia | Registered: 25 January 2010Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Vik
posted Hide Post
I have been asked on at least one occasion to send a photocopy of the first page of the passport to confirm the reservation (without paying a deposit).

Just out of curiosity, what would be the reason to feel more uncomfortable giving out the passport number when you book than when you actually hand over the actual passport on arrival? In my mind, a passport number is not like a SS# in that it changes every time you renew the passport and is also not tied to any financial/employment info. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Vik

Traveler
posted Hide Post
I have never been asked to give this out like this before. I was told when I responded back that I could in fact give them the number when I arrived. That is what I will do. I don't think the police authorities need my detail this far in advance!!
400 EU is fine from what I read. Yes the place we are staying in is beautiful.
Have a look Venice Apartment I booked it on "Home and Away" In fact I found 4 out of 5 of my rentals on this site.

Diane

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of jgk
posted Hide Post
Diane--

That apartment looks beautiful!
Don't forget to do a review here, when you come back.

jan

Posts: 5365 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 07 January 2004Report This Post