Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Dates for 2012 Venice Film Festival

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, Kim, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dates for 2012 Venice Film Festival Login/Join 

Slow Traveler
Picture of Sharon J
posted
We're thinking of spending a week in Venice sometime in September, 2012 and want to avoid the Film Festival. Does anyone know if the dates have been chosen?

Sharon J

Posts: 2338 | Location: Houston, TX, but always a Californian at heart! | Registered: 01 November 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of MikeLastort
posted Hide Post
I thought it always ended on the second Saturday of September. Which should be the 8th in 2012.

Posts: 993 | Location: Takoma Park, Maryland, USA | Registered: 09 October 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Sharon J
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike.

Sharon J

Posts: 2338 | Location: Houston, TX, but always a Californian at heart! | Registered: 01 November 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Robert Rainey
posted Hide Post
Sharon, for what it's worth Two of the times we went to Venice were during the film festival, it wasn't noticably more crowded.
On the Lido I am sure it would be crowded, but central Venice is largly unaffected.(we did go once to the Lido but that was for a bike ride)

So If you get a better deal on air tickets,lodging or availability of a place you want within the dates,I'd go for it. RR

Posts: 8842 | Location: Culver City, CA, USA | Registered: 08 November 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Sharon J
posted Hide Post
quote:
So If you get a better deal on air tickets,lodging or availability of a place you want within the dates,I'd go for it. RR

Thanks Robert. I was so afraid there would be mobs of people trying to see the celebrities.
Sharon J

Slow Traveler
Picture of Michael in Seattle
posted Hide Post
Agreed. We were in Venice in 2003 during the film festival and the only sign we saw of it was an open air showing of an Italian movie in one of the larger piazzas. Avoid the Lido and you probably won't even notice.

Smile
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to traveling.

Slow Traveler
Picture of MikeLastort
posted Hide Post
We were there during the 2001 festival but had no idea it was going on until we went to Lido for our last night before going home.

Posts: 993 | Location: Takoma Park, Maryland, USA | Registered: 09 October 2003Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of DanielaL
posted Hide Post
From 31 August to 10 September 2011. I hope this is helpful for you, Sharon

Posts: 281 | Location: Venezia | Registered: 13 October 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Sharon J
posted Hide Post
quote:
From 31 August to 10 September 2011. I hope this is helpful for you, Sharon

Thank you, we booked an apartment starting September 17, 2012. Didn't want to take the chance of any extra crowds, even though it appears it doesn't affect the city much.

Sharon J