Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Livorno to the Cinque Terre?

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, Kim, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Livorno to the Cinque Terre? Login/Join 
Slow Traveler
posted
I have searched this site and also the trenitalia site (which drives me crazy), and I am looking for a way to go from Livorno to the Cinque Terre for the day. We will be getting off a cruise ship. There must be a train or bus to Portovenere or somewhere close that we can begin the ferries from. But if there is I can't find it. Would we transfer in Pisa or Lucca?
HELP!! Thanks in advance.
Suzie

Posts: 179 | Location: Grosse Pointe, MIchigan | Registered: 31 May 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
You can take the train straight from Livorno Centrlae to La Spezia Centrale, then usually you have to switch to the regional train for Le Cinque Terre. Best way to reach Portovenere from there is by taxi, or you could also walk through centro to the port and take a ferry from there.

But with all this said, your time will be very limited thanks to a not so great train schedule to and from La Spezia. You'd be better off hiring a driver.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Lerici, Liguria | Registered: 22 March 2005Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Megan, I have used many of your ideas in the past. By checking trenitalia, I can find a train from LaSpezia to Livorno at 21:00 hours, taking 52 minutes, but can't find one in the morning from Livorno to LaSpezia. That is the major problem. Are you suggesting a driver from LaSpezia or from Livorno? What would the approximate cost be? How would I find one? I know that once we had docked in Portovenere and it was so simple to hop on a ferry and see 4 of the village either by train or by ferry. How far is La Spezia (travel time) to the Cinque Terre? Is there a train from there to one of the villages-- seems there should be. So many questions!!!
Suzie

Posts: 179 | Location: Grosse Pointe, MIchigan | Registered: 31 May 2003Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Shaun Whitehead
posted Hide Post
Trenitalia currently shows the following solutions for travelling tommorow.

Depart Liv Arrive Sp

8.26 9.51
10.42 11.51
11.26 12.38

there are regular trains to the villages from La spezia the nearest one being riomaggiore is an 8 min journey

Posts: 139 | Location: Sheffield La Spezia | Registered: 16 May 2005Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I don't know what time of year you're traveling from Livorno to 5 Terre. I just checked schedules on trenitalia.com for May 5 for morning departures from Livorno to 5 Terre towns where trains stop most often, Riomaggiore (the first one on your route north) and Monterosso (the last one on your route north).

The best route is: 826 leave Livorno. 847 change in Pisa. 951 change in La Spezia. Arrive Riomaggiore 1008 or stay on the same train and arrive in Monterosso 1017.

Best route back is leave Monterosso 2103 on direct train with no changes arriving in Livorno at 2230 on ICPlus. Well worth the more expensive fare of 26 Euros. Same train route also departing Monterosso at 1903.

Or leave Riomaggiore at 2100, change in La Spezia at 2106, arrive Livorno 2230. Also 26 Euros. Other choices with changes in La Spezia and Pisa take 3 hours but cost 13 Euros.

If you want to go to 5 Terre, no need to go to Portovenere. As previously suggested, from La Spezia just take the trains to the 5 Terre towns.

Enjoy your day trip to 5 Terre! Too bad you have only one day.

Buon viaggio!

Posts: 194 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 29 January 2009Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
The Trenitalia schedules past June 14 are mostly not loaded; I suspect that's the problem. You can search a date in the next week (and others have posted the basic schedules) to get an idea of the schedules, but the exact times could be different when you're going.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
You are all the best!!!! I kept putting those towns in to Trenitalia and coming up with nothing. But I thank you all so much! We will be in Livorno on September 7th, a Monday. Which is why I chose the Cinque Terre over Florence. We will go there from our villa rental in Montepulciano. I just wanted our friends, who have never been to Italy, to experience a few of the villages of the cinque terre if we could.
That 8:26 train sounds great! As does the 19:30 one back to Livorno. Now that station is called Livorno Centrale, right??
Thanks again
Suzie

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Right. The odd thing when you put Livorno in the Trenitalia site is that it offers a choice between Livorno Centrale and Livorno Ferraris. The latter is not a second station in the Tuscan port city, but an entirely different town in Piemonte.

Posts: 7765 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
The odd thing when you put Livorno in the Trenitalia site is that it offers a choice between Livorno Centrale and Livorno Ferraris. The latter is not a second station in the Tuscan port city, but an entirely different town in Piemonte.

That's perfectly normal because there is a town with that name. TrenItalia is almost too precise when it comes to destinations!

Anyway, the train schedule is good 60 days out, but best to check just before you leave for your trip for any revisions to it. For example, the trains within the CT will have reduced from how many there are in mid-summer. Have fun! Smile

Posts: 1656 | Location: Lerici, Liguria | Registered: 22 March 2005Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
I found this site and appreciate the info on Livorno, etc. We wanted to go to Cinque Terre rather than Florence, but it does seem our time would be limited--especially if we had to spend all our time figuring out the trains! (We're in port from about 7 to 7). I tried a few private tour groups, but the prices average about 500-600 dollars for a group of 3 and we don't have enough in the group to spread that out effectively. That's simply too much for us to spend at a single stop so we're back to thinking we'll take the train to Florence for the day.

My question:

If we take the train from Livorno to Florence--can we get off at any of the stops and then back on without having to repurchase a ticket? I noticed that someone mentioned doing so in Pisa; I'm interested in stopping at Lucca on the way back, time permitting. I prefer the smaller towns to the larger ones, especially for things like lunch/stroll.

If there are any other towns that are worth a stop or if the train schedules have suddenly improved to Cinque Terre, happy to evaluate such information!!!

We're going in Oct. if that matters.

Thanks.
Maria

Posts: 32 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 June 2009Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Slow Travel Talk. It looks like the Livorno-Florence trip would be on a Regionale, so once you stamp your tickets before boarding, you can break up the trip as long as you start the last segment of the one-way trip within six hours after stamping the tickets. This would work in Pisa, which is on the route, but Lucca is not on that route; you would need separate Florence-Lucca and Lucca-Livorno tickets. Add to that: once you've done Florence as a day trip, I don't think you can spend any meaningful time in Lucca and get to Livorno by 7 p.m.

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Andrew, you are gold! Thanks for letting me know Lucca wasn't on the trip. I looked up the tickets, but didn't know how to ID the various stops.

Lucca wasn't a "must" see, but there is supposedly a chocolate shop there and I'm interested in some olive oil for myself to bring back and had heard it was a good place to buy it.

I'm sure we can find olive oil in Florence. We plan on maybe 4 hours in Florence. We're there on a Monday so a few of the places will be closed (thus my additional interest in Cinque Terre!)

Thank you very much for the info. It helps a lot!

Traveler
posted Hide Post
If anyone has any further advice on CinqueTerre, let me know! I think it's been pretty well covered, but I'm always open to someone who had a good experience or found a reasonably priced way to get there!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at some of the same questions for our day in Livorno in a few weeks. I wonder about the wisdom of some of the more far-reaching trips for one day.

My experience on cruise ships is pretty limited, but based on what I've seen myself, what friends have told me, and what I've read on travel boards that focus on cruises, the time available in port isn't necessarily what is published. Our upcoming cruise stop in Livorno, for example, says we'll be in port at 7 AM and leave at 7 PM. However, that doesn't mean we'll be able to get off the ship and hit the ground running at 7 AM.

Sometimes, the cruise lines allow passengers going on cruise-sponsored trips to get off first, holding back passengers going off on their own, so 7 AM can be more like 7:30 or 8:00 before you hit the road. Also, for "security" reasons, we've been told you must be on the ship at least 30 minutes before departure.

For Livorno, in particular, there's also the time required to get to the train station. There may or may not be enough cabs available as hundreds of people depart simultaneously from the ship; I'm not going to count on it. Using public transit (one bus from the port to Piazza della Repubblica, another from there to the train station at Piazza Dante) I'm figuring a half hour at best, or an hour if everything goes wrong. Therefore, I'm looking at trains between 8:00 - 8:30 for departure, and needing to be back by 5 or 5:30 to get back on the ship by 6:30.

Bottom line, for my cousins going into Florence, the best they can count on (even if everything goes right) is six hours on the ground in the city. Since they've never been there before, they're happy to have even that.

ellen

Posts: 4398 | Location: mahwah, new jersey, usa | Registered: 10 December 2003Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
Hi Ellen, thanks for the input--yes, I agree with everything you said. We're expecting about 4 hours in Florence (that's what we're calculating it at anyway.)

If we did Cinque, same thing.

We plan on being back at the ship between 5 and 6--all our questions out assume a 6 o'clock return. We're assuming an 8:30 dis-embark, but hoping for an 8.

My mom said that they do go off in groups and we'll be assigned a group. It could be that tour signees get the earlier groups off.

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Someone posted on one of these threads the bus necessary to take (the number and destination or direction) to get to the Livorno Centrale train station.

I can't find that thread. We actually hope to take a taxi to the station, but I've seen other discussions that sometimes there are not enough taxis when people are disembarking--thus if anyone has the bus info...I'd appreciate it so I have it as backup!

I think we will probably just be going Livorno to Florence. As a backup plan (long delays or unexpected who knows) we'll take the train to Lucca. I have to do some more research on Lucca--it sounds close enough and interesting!

Thanks for all the help.

Maria

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I haven't actually done this yet (we'll arrive in port at Livorno two weeks from tomorrow), but according to my research here on the Livorno bus site, it's line #1.

ellen

Posts: 4398 | Location: mahwah, new jersey, usa | Registered: 10 December 2003Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Ellen. I hope you post on how it works out when you get back. I don't go until Oct so I'd be interested in anything you learn--what you enjoyed and what you hated. Big Grin

Feel free to PM me or if you blog about your experiences, let me know the link to it!!

And above all--have a great time!

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Also--wherever that other missing thread is--do you pay the bus driver or insert coins? Or do you have to find a place to buy a ticket and validate it on the bus?

If anyone knows...

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
You buy tickets at a newstand or tobacco shop.

I will post about it when I return, but feel free to remind me if I forget!

I've read several posts on cruise boards but no one is as specific as I want, so I'm basing my plan on information from the city (already linked above) and the official web site for the Port Authority of Livorno.

Looking at the port map and the bus line info, it seems that the closest stop to the cruise ship port (at Calata Punto Franco) is Piazza Grande. Google maps says the distance is 0.7 miles, so I'm assuming about a 20 minute walk. I'm sure we'll pass several newstands and/or tobacco shops along the way.

Google map - cruise port to Piazza Grande for #1 bus to Livorno Centrale

ellen

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ellen. Now I'll really be hoping for a taxi...

Less complicated is better.

Let me know if you find any excellent chocolate shops in Florence.

:>)

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Ellen--just fyi, on another message board, I found reference:

The port does a shuttle bus to the town centre, and then you catch a no 1 bus to the railway station.

I haven't found more info about this bus, but it sounds like it might take you close to Piazza Dante?

I'll post more if I find more!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've seen references to that as well. I think the shuttle only takes you to either Piazza Grande or maybe Piazza della Repubblica.

ellen

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Here's a bit more:

Getting To Florence: If traffic isn't a huge factor, it takes about an hour and 15 minutes to drive to Florence from Livorno. Taxis line up outside the ship; we were quoted a one-way price of 160 euros (your best bet is to negotiate a round-trip fare so the driver will wait around for you). Taxi drivers will also -- happily -- offer day-long tours of Florence and Pisa; for six people the price was 350 euros. Note, however, that most speak minimal English. For more info, visit www.tuscanybytaxi.it.

Otherwise, ships typically provide shuttles to Livorno's Piazza Grande; the train station is then a 15-minute cab ride away. Getting to Florence by train takes about an hour and a half, and there are several "early morning" departures. Trains return to Livorno from Florence's Santa Maria Novella Station -- check the train schedule just prior to your cruise. One-way fares cost about 8.50 euros (first class) or 5.50 euros (second class). Info: www.fs-on-line.com.

Most cruise ships offer "shuttle service" (one motorcoach to and from Florence) for those who want to travel independently. Because of the distance and the likelihood of traffic problems, we've found these to be a good deal (plus, on our recent "shuttle" on a Crystal cruise a guide accompanied our ride -- and was most helpful in offering recommendations).

So you might ask onboard--if there is a shuttle, you won't have to walk to the Grande to catch the bus. Or there might also be more taxis waiting there.

Got this from the cruiseletter:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=83

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Yes, I think you are right. However, it would save a little wear and tear if a shuttle were available--I looked a live shot of the traffic in that area if you walked. It's extremely busy at the port. I'm not sure how clearly things were market either, but I printed that map you linked to just in case.

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
That fs-on-line URL is from before the Trenitalia name came to be, and it now goes to someone else's site. Trenitalia in English is http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone--

Getting closer to travel time and I'm going through my notes. We plan to take a taxi to the train station and then go to Florence...

No one has mentioned whether or not it is easy to get a taxi BACK from the train station. Should I find a phone number? Or will there be taxis at the train station (I know most stations have a few, but wanted to check...)

Thanks,
Maria

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Note GAC's post here: if your cruise ship docks at Livorno Stazione Marittima, there's a direct bus to Pisa station.

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew. That sounds like it might work well...I'll have to take the info just in case!

I'd really like to do the Cinque Terre area the most, but I'm not sure we can do it justice in one day. The cruise ship actually offers a bus to Cinque Terre and surprisingly it was cheaper than ANY of the individual tour operators that I contacted (by enough that I almost thought about doing it--but we'd still have to pay for the individual trains between the towns...and so...)

I think we'll do the Florence by train. I just got to wondering about getting back once we returned. :>)

Thanks again,
Maria

Traveler
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the train schedule from Livorno Centrale to Florence. Here's a section:

08:11 FI.SMN
LI C.LE 09:33 FI.RIFR

Anyone know what the FI.RIFR means? I think the FI.SMN is the Firenze Santa Maria Novella station, but have no idea if the FI.RIFR is another station and an indication that the train stops at both in Firenze (Florence?)

I am pretty sure we want FI.SMN because that is next to the main tourist attractions, but I like to know what mysterious letters means so that I don't get off at the wrong stop and have some idea of what I am doing!

Thanks,
Maria

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Yes, FI.RIFR. is Firenze Rifredi, a peripheral station; those trains stop there before they get to S.M.N., and you shouldn't get off there because you see you're in the big city. If you search just on Firenze, it shows all the stations in Florence where the train stops, but the time matches the main station in black. You can enter your destination as Firenze S.M.N. and just get that station's times.

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew! I read there were two or three other stations and that they were somewhat far from where we'd need to be--we'll be careful and try to get off at the correct stop!

Thanks for clarifying and being so helpful!

Maria