Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Montalbano on TV

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, Kim, TourMama
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montalbano on TV Login/Join 

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted
There's been some discussion here in the past about the Commissario Montalbano TV series from Italy, based on the books about the Sicilian detective. We happened to stumble across a channel last night that is showing the latest from this series on a local public station. We managed to catch most of Episode 23, "Angelica's Smile". Three more will be shown later this month -- they air here at 9 pm Sunday. According to Amazon, they aren't yet out here on DVD -- coming at the end of September.

Here is a page with a schedule of the MHz International Mystery series, starting from this week. And here is a link to the MHz Worldview affililate stations. In the San Francisco Bay area it is being broadcast on KCSM, which is a San Mateo public station, but is apparently available on many cable stations in the area. Our Comcast in Napa gets it, for example -- and we just have the cheapest level of cable.

Just thought I'd pass this on for other Montalbano fans in case you can catch the shows in your area.

- Roz

Posts: 8960 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: 01 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
You can watch these from your computer or IPad as well via live feeds at Mhznetworks.org. Go to the MHz Worldview page. I've got an HDMI hookup from my IPad to my tv so I can watch on the TV. It's great!

Posts: 217 | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of Jane
posted Hide Post
Linda, how does Mhz work on the iPad? Are these movies always available to watch whenever or do you need to watch on via a TV schedule? There is no Mhz in our area but I wonder if that matters if we use the iPad or computer. Thanks for info.

Posts: 8142 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
Jane, to see these free you have to watch them live via streaming. You can watch them via a browser, or for an iPad or iPhone you can download the MHz app. There is also an app for Android.

To watch the Montalbanos at other times, you can stream them from Amazon, but they cost $4.99 for a 7-day rental.

We have seen all the previous Montalbanos (our library has the DVDs) and have now watched the two most recent ones (not yet out on DVD) on MHz. They are great!

I don't think the book versions of these newest ones have even been translated into English.

- Roz

Posts: 8960 | Location: Napa, CA | Registered: 01 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Charity B.
posted Hide Post
Are these programs in English? Do they have subtitles available?

Charity

Posts: 2801 | Location: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of Jane
posted Hide Post
Montalbano

Charity and others. If you go to this link, you can watch, at no charge, some fascinating videos about the making off the movies, the actor who plays Montalbano and some other clips. It's fun.

Posts: 8142 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are these programs in English? Do they have subtitles available?

Charity, they are in Italian, but they do have English subtitles. One reason I love them is that the characters are so prototypically Italian in their intonations and gestures.

- Roz

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for that link, Jane. I hadn't known about those.

Some of those, and I think some newer ones, are also going to be shown on MHz live streaming on Tue Sept 24: See schedule here.

- Roz

Slow Traveler
Picture of Charity B.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, folks! I'm online looking at the schedule. I'll try to watch Montalbano on Sunday night (6PM Pacific time). If it works, I'll try hooking it up to the TV. I've got to get the right cord, however, to connect my laptop to the TV.

Charity

Posts: 2801 | Location: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Roz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll try to watch Montalbano on Sunday night (6PM Pacific time).
Charity, I think it is 9 pm Pacific time. They seem to adjust their streaming time for your time zone. On the Schedule Page, make sure you pick PDT for the time zone, in the dropdown list at the top.

- Roz

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying these new shows. Thanks for letting us know about the app -- it never would have occurred to me to look!

DD

Posts: 364 | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Support your favorite Sicilian:

Montalbano gear

DD

Forum Admin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Kim
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23869 | Location: NJ USA | Registered: 16 June 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kim!

DD

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to find either Brunetti or Montalbano on any of our four PBS channels, but I have bought the DVD's, often very reasonably priced. The Bruentti series has had two actors - so far - playing Brunetti. We like the second one whose first name is Uwe much better than the first. It is a little disconcerting to hear them all speaking German, but there lots of beautiful views of Venice. The Montalbano are in Italian also with English subtitles. It is wonderful to hear them spoken in the language that the characters would naturally use. The actor who plays Montalbano is perfectly case. There is also another series, Young Montalbano that I do not think is written by Camilieri, but which is fun to watch mainly because you can not only recognize the older man in hte younger one, but you meet the fathe's of some of the older Montalbano's young police officers. They do not seem to have been done in the order in which they were written, or at least with Montalbano the order in which they were translated, but they have given us many hours of pleasure, and the Donna Leone series helps when I am homesick for Venice.

Posts: 1072 | Location: NJ | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post