Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Italian Stove-top Toaster - where to buy

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Italian Stove-top Toaster - where to buy Login/Join 
Traveler
Picture of Aunteen
posted
Does anyone know if you can buy an Italian stove-top toaster in the US or any store in Italy that will ship one to the US? It is used for making bruschetta on a gas stove. I watched Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos of Extra Virgin toast bread this way. Gabriele says it is the best way to toast the bread for bruschetta. I have attached a picture of the one from his show. Thanks.

Stove-top toaster

Slow Traveler
Picture of JChrisP
posted Hide Post
You can make fine bruschetta on the fireplace, grill or gas stove with those things they make for cooking vegetables on the grill. Available pretty much all over -- hardware stores, etc. No need for one from Italy.

Chris Phillips
il sogno a Casperia

Posts: 892 | Location: Austin & Casperia  | Registered: 23 July 2006Report This Post
Traveler
Picture of Aunteen
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, I will look into that.

Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen C
posted Hide Post
Thats funny Chris, I have never seen one here. I also have this on my list of things to buy. I have heard they are very cheap and available at hardware stores in Italy. Aunteen, I am going to Italy next month and intend to pick one up for myself so I would be glad to get you one providing they are light and easy to pack.

Colleen

Slow Traveler
Picture of Ann
posted Hide Post
They're also available at most outdoor markets in Italy. Colleen, I just weighed mine, and it's 10 1/2 ounces. The handle pushes in so that it's very easy to pack.

Aloha, Ann

Posts: 2296 | Location: Sunset Beach (Haleiwa), Hawaii | Registered: 16 September 2001Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I bought one here in the States, can't remember where, but it's called a Bruschella, manufacturer IPAC. No luck when in Googled it though.

Posts: 475 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 24 April 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Ann
posted Hide Post
I just remembered the name in Italian -- it's called a brustolina, which might help you find it more easily, Colleen.

Aloha, Ann

Posts: 2296 | Location: Sunset Beach (Haleiwa), Hawaii | Registered: 16 September 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
If anyone finds out where to buy one I would appreciate knowing where...when I googled it I came up with brustolina and what it is and does but no suggestions where to buy...thanks

Posts: 1630 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 June 2008Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of venexiananan
posted Hide Post
In the meantime, the broiler (in a regular or toaster oven) works great.Smile

Posts: 3359 | Location: Venezia, Italia | Registered: 15 January 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Sharon J
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the meantime, the broiler (in a regular or toaster oven) works great

Yes, we have used the oven broiler in rental apartments many times and it works great. You just need to watch it carefully.

Sharon J

Posts: 2374 | Location: Houston, TX. Soon to be Beaufort, SC | Registered: 01 November 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
thanks Nan....don't have one of them but you inspired me to a different substitution...

Posts: 1630 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 June 2008Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen C
posted Hide Post
According to Gabrielle of The TV show Extra Virgin, this stove top toaster makes the bread toasty and even a little charred on the outside and tender on the inside. Not too dry. As for the names, we have Bruschella from Jeanne,Brustolina from Ann and I seem to remember hearing it called a toastepane from someone. I'll give it a try, it's always fun to have a mission when we go on a trip. Thanks,
Colleen

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
We used to use something similar to this when camping (in another life Big Grin!).

Google camping toaster and you may find what you are looking for.

Posts: 3036 | Location: West Vancouver, B.C. Canada | Registered: 28 February 2004Report This Post
Traveler
Picture of Aunteen
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for all the great information. My mom ordered a camping toaster from Australia that looks very much like the one Gabriele uses but it doesn't have any holes in the bottom plate like his does. She used it this morning and said it made great toast but doesn't make grill marks. We are thinking of drilling some holes into the bottom to see if that will allow some of the flame to come through and char the bread.

I also sent an email to Faith Willinger in Firenze as she had a post on her website about a housewares store on via Ginori that will ship the tostapane or graticola to you.

Colleen, that is so nice of you to offer to get me one. I would love to send you some money for one and for the shipping to California. I'm not real good at this but I will try to email you directly.

Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen C
posted Hide Post
Hi Aunteen, No problem, when I get it I will contact you and we will sort out the details.
Colleen

posted Hide Post
Hi Aunteen
Would like to help you with the info. I have seen it on YouTube, facebook and website. Just leave out the Italian in your search and you will find what you are looking for. There are pictures and also a video. Good luck!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Debra
posted Hide Post
It has to be cheaper in Italy but this is it?
http://www.toastercentral.com/non.htm

Posts: 1411 | Location: Simi Valley, California | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Deb

I know the product from Italy, and I believe that the one available in Australia, which is manufactured in Argentina is the better and cheaper option.

Eco Toaster

Traveler
Picture of Aunteen
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone who wrote in with suggestions. I now have the one from Australia and the one Colleen brought me back from Italy. The Australian one is smaller and does not have the holes in the bottom plate that allows flame to come through. Otherwise, they both work really well. Thanks again!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Debra
posted Hide Post
Just a note and a thank you for pointing out this kitchen item.
I picked one up today in the Campo d'Fiori for 8.50 euro.
The guy with all the cups, wine glasses,pots and pans sells them.

Posts: 1411 | Location: Simi Valley, California | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post