Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Rome: Things to know about staying in Monti
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Rome: Things to know about staying in Monti Login/Join 

Slow Traveler
posted
Since a lot of you stay in this area, and I'm planning to as well, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a dedicated thread where we can share all our collective knowledge about everything Monti related.

I've been compiling articles from newspapers, magazines and blog posts regarding Rione Monti - in this first post I'll list my bookmarks with general Monti info, and to follow will be links for the specific markets and eateries that I wanted to scope out.

And I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the recommendations, tips, and anecdotes from my fellow STers - please post them here, they'll be much appreciated. Smile

NYTimes articles:
In Rome, a Place for Romans
In Rome, Monti Is a Quiet Treasure

Travel+Leisure article:
Europe's Best Neighborhoods for Foodies

Budget Travel article:
Neighborhood watch: Monti, Rome

Guardian article:
The full Monti: Rome's cool quarter

ParlaFood blog post:
Eating and Drinking in Monti

Elizabeth Minchilli in Rome blog posts:
Monti: Where to Eat
Food shopping in monti
new 'old' restaurant in monti: l'asino d'oro

A thread on Chowhound:
Monti in May

And these last 2 links are from tour companies with their summations of Monti:
MONTI QUARTER: Churches, monuments, streets... and life
Rione Monti - The most ancient quarter of Rome

Posts: 1002 | Location: West Hollywood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: 29 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Markets in Monti -

From the blog, Excuse me, where is... (its author is a STer):
Rome Supermarkets Quirinale
and a link directly to her map:
Quirinale Supermarkets

In Rome Now: Beyond the Guidebooks blog:
Rome Shopping: GOURMET FOODS (Monti is just one of the areas with info)

Mia Market (organic produce, take-out, closed Sunday) this one's at the top of my personal list.
Here's its blog in Italian:
Mia Market
And here's the blog translated to English by google:
Mia Market
And its location on google maps:
Via Panisperna, 225

Super Elite on Via Cavour 232 (closed Sunday)
Google maps:
Via Cavour 232

Margherita Conad on Via del Boschetto 52-55
According to 060608 it's closed Sunday
Google maps:
Via del Boschetto 52

And here's the closest one I found that's open daily:
Despar on Via Nazionale 213
Location Google maps:
Via Nazionale 213

Posts: 1002 | Location: West Hollywood, California, U.S.A. | Registered: 29 March 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice post from Revealed Rome:
Rome's Best Shopping Streets: Via del Boschetto

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Pizza al taglio, sandwiches, take-out, pastries, pane

Antico Forno ai Serpenti (closes at 2pm on Sundays)
Mentioned in these blogs post:
ParlaFood New Openings On Via dei Serpenti in Rome
GT Food and Travel Antico Forno ai Serpenti – Pane Pizza Biscotti
Google maps
Via dei Serpenti 122

Tricolore (closed Sunday)
Mentioned in the ParlaFood post above and here:Tricolore Opens in Rome’s Monti District
And here Pizza Urbana: Bonci a Tricolore
Google maps:
Via Urbana, 126, Roma

Panificio Monti (I haven't been able to figure out if they're open Sundays)
Mentioned in ParlaFood here Ciambella al Cioccolato
and here Rome’s Best Pizza
And in this NYTimes article by Katie Parla:
In Season: Artichokes in Rome
Google maps:
Via Urbana 22

Piadineria (open Sunday til 10:30pm)
Recommended by Elizabeth Minchilli in the article posted above: Rome Monti Where to Eat
Google maps:
Via del Boschetto 98

Pizzeria Leonina
Recommended in that same Elizabeth Minchilli post above
Yelp reviews
Google maps:
Via di Leonina 84

Shawarma Station (I'm a fan of falafel)
From ParlaFood: Shawarma Station, Rome
And this listing says it's open daily Shawarma station
Google maps:
Via Merulana 271

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
And in an effort to consolidate everything here's a closed thread from our forum:
Restaurants in the Forum/Monti area

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
And one last Monti related bookmark from my files - a nice blog entry by Context Travel's Paul Bennett, mainly to do with Monti:
Rediscovering Rome

Now I'm looking forward to hearing your recommendations and/or comments on the places listed above. Grazie in anticipo!! Smile

Slow Traveler
Picture of sandrac
posted Hide Post
Interesting links, Jady!

I live in Monti, so I'm biased, but I think it's a wonderful, fascinating neighbourhood in itself, but it's also very easy to get from here to almost anywhere else in central Rome.

Cheers,
Sandra

Posts: 2000 | Location: Rome! | Registered: 14 March 2005Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic - will see if I can find anything to add but this is so comprehensive that I think you have everything covered. Well done Jady!

Gathering Hero

Slow Traveler
Picture of jgk
posted Hide Post
Great work, Jady!
Next time, for me, definitely, Monti!

jan

Posts: 5399 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 07 January 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I have stayed in apts in the Monti twice and liked it.
Here is a google map with some sites and restaurants in the monti marked
https://maps.google.com/maps/m...pn=0.009663,0.019205
The Elite Grocery store (yellow basket) by the Cavour Metro stop is great. You can evne use it to buy food gifts for people back home. It is almost directly across the street from the Metro stop on that corner

Posts: 5414 | Location: St Paul, MN | Registered: 10 February 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Madonna del Piatto
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2301 | Location: Assisi, Umbria, Italy | Registered: 18 February 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
To Sandra, or anyone else, have you shopped at Mia Market? Is it on the pricey side?

I'm really hooked on eating organic/local/free trade etc., and on my last stay I shopped at Il Canestro in Testaccio. And it was definitely pricey. (But just the way WholeFoods is pricey here in the States).

Thanks dragonpat for that map and firsthand review on the Elite Market. Thumbs Up

And thank you to those who thanked me - but I have this all bookmarked for myself anyway and it's always best to share, si? Wink

And yes Letizia, I agree Sandra's blog is great. Thank you Sandra for sharing your experiences with us!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
***"To Sandra, or anyone else, have you shopped at Mia Market? Is it on the pricey side?"

Ciao Jady!

In May I stepped into Mia Market to have a look around. I'm always in search of quality foods. I had heard about it from both:
Elizabeth Minchilli and
Katie Parla It's very small, cute and smelled yummy. According to Katie's Rome for Foodie app, it is expensive. I only breezed through, as I had just eaten an excellant sushi lunch at Doozo, in Monti, mentioned in Katie's blog about eating and drinking in Monti.

If you like organic and local, you should try Urbana 47, again in Monti, where they take pride in preparing foods from Lazio. They're into the zero km concept, as noted in yet another blog posting from Katie. Sandra took my friends and I to Urbana 47 after a wonderful walking tour from the Capitolino to Monte Aventino ending in Monti. We enjoyed the eclectic atmosphere and healthy, tasty lunch.

Posts: 1150 | Location: West slope, Sierra Nevada, CA | Registered: 08 July 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Wendy & Rob
posted Hide Post
We will be in Rome in Oct. and I will be copying the links and info., and thank you for the very well compiled information, Jady,

But....

I would like to know, why do you want sushi while in Rome? I'm sorry, but you get such good sushi/sashimi in LA

Posts: 5816 | Location: Monterey Peninsula, California, USA | Registered: 07 September 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of anita1956
posted Hide Post
Oh wow!! Thanks to everyone who added information here! We'll be staying at an apartment in Monti for a week in September and this info is going to be so incredibly helpful....and exciting!

Anita
=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-
Anita and Dana in Bella Italia (and the Big Smoke)| Facebook |
Committed to the concept of slow travel while living in the body of a Type A personality fueled by espresso.

Posts: 418 | Location: Bay Area, Northern California | Registered: 28 December 2009Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to know, why do you want sushi while in Rome? I'm sorry, but you get such good sushi/sashimi in LA

Hi Wendy and Rob ~ I had the wonderful sushi in Monti at Doozo because it's nice to have a bit of variety while dinning in Roma. I was there for a month and had a craving for sushi/sashimi, which I can't get in my rural community in the Sierra Nevada.

Should you want a little ethnic mix in your Roma foodie adventure, Doozo has fresh, well prepared food in a relaxing atmosphere either in the book store/art gallery or in their garden in the back under a large shade tree...

Posts: 1150 | Location: West slope, Sierra Nevada, CA | Registered: 08 July 2010Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Wendy & Rob
posted Hide Post
I understand wanting variety over a period of a month, and also you live in the mountains, different than LA, but variety is good and I take back my comment... I guess. Smile

Posts: 5816 | Location: Monterey Peninsula, California, USA | Registered: 07 September 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
Oh no, you don't need to take back your comment ~ I guess Uh-uh No!

Going to Doozo was an unusual choice for me. I've never eaten anything but Italian food in Italia but I liked it so much I even went back a second time... Wink

Slow Traveler
Picture of Wendy & Rob
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Debra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heidi:
....Doozo was an unusual choice for me. .Wink

This was on my list last year, but I just wasn't willing to give up a single meal of Italian food to give it a try.
The ambiance and art gallery look very interesting so I might give it a try this year. I first read about it in one of Elizabeth Minchilli's e-mails and was impressed enough to add it to my restaurants.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Simi Valley, California | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Ciao Jady!

In May I stepped into Mia Market to have a look around...

Ciao Heidi! Thanks so much for the firsthand report - and for the links and recommendations. Thumbs Up

(You were the one who turned me onto E. Minchilli I think, and Chowhound too - so thanks again for that Smile )

I'd read about Urbana 47, on those blogs I think, but also it was highlighted in an article in January's Conde Naste Traveler magazine.

For those interested I found the online version (Urbana 47 is just one of the restaurants mentioned):
Relishing Rome

And here's one of the companion articles (you have to use the orange arrows at the top right of the screen to view the whole list):
Eating Out in Rome: Where the Locals Go
(FYI: There's a whole Rome City Guide by Conde Nast linked in the sidebars).

And here's the link to the restaurant where you can see its menu and location:
Urbana 47

My lists above don't include any ristoranti/trattorie/osterie/enoteche - so thanks to those adding them to this thread! Keep 'em coming.

I think it would also be helpful if we had a list of Monti's ATM locations. Hint. Hint. Smile

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I was there for a month and had a craving for sushi/sashimi, which I can't get in my rural community in the Sierra Nevada...

I just saw another sushi place in Monti in that CN article linked above. Here's the direct link - it takes a moment to download the particular slide - but it should eventually show: F.I.S.H. on Via dei Serpenti 16

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Figured I should link the Rome City Guide mentioned above (OT a little since it's not specific to Monti - but what the hay):

CNTraveler's Rome City Guide

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
quote:
(You were the one who turned me onto E. Minchilli I think, and Chowhound too - so thanks again for that Smile )

Wow Jady, coming from the queen of links and bookmarked sites Queen Pauline Grazie! You really are an amazing source of Roma information. Keep it up!

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
I want to mention the little electric bus #117 that runs through Monti, as it travels back and forth from Piazza del Popolo to Piazza S. Giovanni in Laterano.

Monti has the Cavor Metro Line stop for your transportation convenience BUT the #117 is a fun way to travel the city streets. It travels down Serpenti on it's way past San Clemente and up to Laterano as noted in this amazingly detailed blog post from Ron in Rome On it's return to Popolo it passes through Monti, this time quietly traveling up Boschetto as again noted in this other post by Ron in Rome These detailed posts are remarkable!

When I was in Roma this Spring, the cost of all buses and metro went up from 1 euro to 1 euro 50. Some buses but not all had a working machine to purchase tickets on board. I always bought several tickets at my local Tabacchi shop just to be safe. You must always validate your ticket once you are on the bus ~ every bus has the validation machine.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks Heidi, great post!

And thanks for the crown Blushing

And back at ya! I consider you to be among the handful of really helpful posters on this forum, and I've benefited a lot by your contributions. Mille grazie la mia amica. Smile

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
quote:
And thanks for the crown Blushing

A well deserved crown Jady!

I've never stayed in Monti. But I may have to start looking for apartments there for next Spring, as I kept gravitating toward it this May.

I'm addicted to the caffe' ritual while traveling and what better place to indulge than in Roma, and in Monti specifically. The quality of the cappuccino is important to me but sometimes location, people watching, and a place to relax and re-group jump to the top of my list.

One morning in Monti, Katie Parla took me to Er Baretto which is featured on this YouTube segment from Elizabeth Minchilli, who considers this her local caffe'. Great cappuccino! It's located on Via del Boschetto in Monti. Inside and outside seating.

I also frequented the Illy Espressamente ~ aka Caffe' Ivanhoe, right in front of the Hotel Ivanhoe ~ on Via Urbana. Katie recommended it, as it is her "local" and it has free WiFi. The Illy cappuccino was excellent here in this modern caffe'. You can sit in the air conditioned interior ~ which I loved on several HOT days or outside on the covered deck.

When I see the Illy logo, I'm usually assured of getting a rich, smooth cappuccino. Many small independent caffe's use this family run Italian coffee company. Our own Sandac wrote a great blog about Illy and their artful cups and designs....

Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never stayed in Monti. But I may have to start looking for apartments there for next Spring, as I kept gravitating toward it this May

Take a look at Rome Reference as they have several apartments in Monti. We stayed in Via Ciancaleoni (Apartment 380) which was a little gem of a studio apartment with terrace.
We loved Er Baretto too - especially the designs on the cappucino! We also had a delicious lunch there. On the same street (Via Boschetto) there is a Conad supermarket with a really good deli counter as well as Pasta al'Uovo where we bought fresh gnocchi. Opposite is Trattoria Valentino which we didn't try but is on our list for next year! Delize di Calabria on Via Serpenti sells the best mozzarella ever as well as Calabrian marmalade but I think my favourite street is Via Baccina (this is for Jady) for if you look towards the end of the street you can see columns from the temple of Mars Ultor - the same columns that Augustus would have seen - wow! Also on that street is a gorgeous lavender shop. On Via Madonna dei Monte is Fafiuche where you can indulge in aperitivo and many, many different kinds of artisan beers. In fact I think Fafiuche sums up Monti - a trendy bar opposite an ironmongers. There I was sipping Franciacorta studying the various types of ironing board on display!Love it!!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
GRAZIE Heidi and Liveforhols!!!!! Terrific posts. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Slow Traveler
Picture of sandrac
posted Hide Post
quote:
There I was sipping Franciacorta studying the various types of ironing board on display!Love it!!

My neighbour Maria, and her husband, run this little shop which is a great place to get anything from toilet paper to electric fans to batteries to toothpaste.

Maria, who chats with me across our street Via Baccina, has lived here for 47 years. Pretty amazing, when you think about it!

Cheers,
Sandra

Posts: 2000 | Location: Rome! | Registered: 14 March 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Was just catching up on my blog reading and in this Revealed Rome post by AER, For MSN U.K., My Video on Some Favorite Rome Spots, there's a short video linked (fun to watch), and she mentions only 2 eateries, both in Monti:

Urbana 47, discussed upthread, and Fafiuché.

Any of you Monti lovers frequent Fafiuché?

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Fafiuche is fab! I found it through Revealed Rome & knew I could sell it to my husband with the offer of artisan beers. Aperitivo is very popular & I love the fact I can get Franciacorta by the glass. We plan to visit many times when we are in Monti next year!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Liveforhols:
Fafiuche is fab! I found it through Revealed Rome & knew I could sell it to my husband with the offer of artisan beers. Aperitivo is very popular & I love the fact I can get Franciacorta by the glass. We plan to visit many times when we are in Monti next year!

Thanks for the reply and for the report! Smile

And I just checked out your blog - it's delightful!

Traveler
posted Hide Post
Jady - you don't know how much that means to me! Such an incentive to complete more posts. Thankyou!!xx

Slow Traveler
Picture of anita1956
posted Hide Post
Ah, though I don't yet know our exact address we'll be staying in an apartment on Via Baccina for a week next month! If I see two women chatting across the street from one another I'll be sure to say hello.....though....well....I suppose that's not such an uncommon sight now that I think of it Smile

quote:
Originally posted by sandrac:
quote:
There I was sipping Franciacorta studying the various types of ironing board on display!Love it!!

My neighbour Maria, and her husband, run this little shop which is a great place to get anything from toilet paper to electric fans to batteries to toothpaste.

Maria, who chats with me across our street Via Baccina, has lived here for 47 years. Pretty amazing, when you think about it!

Cheers,
Sandra

Anita
=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-
Committed to the concept of slow travel while living in the body of a Type A personality fueled by espresso.

Posts: 418 | Location: Bay Area, Northern California | Registered: 28 December 2009Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
Ciao Anita 1956!

"...we'll be staying in an apartment on Via Baccina for a week next month!"

Cool! Sounds like a perfect location. You might have a few additions to this Monti thread when you return.

Any chance of getting the web site of your apartment on Via Baccina?

Buon viaggio!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ciao Anita 1956!

Cool! Sounds like a perfect location. You might have a few additions to this Monti thread when you return.

Buon viaggio!

Hi Heidi Smile

I've come across what I think looks like a terrific 1 bedroom, not on Via Baccina but on Via degli Ibernesi. That's the little elbow shaped street that connects Via Baccina and Salita del Grillo and is blocked off to cars on the Via Baccina side. In fact, in the (dissappointing) Woody Allen film, he has a quick shot of this view of the Via degli Ibernesi. The apartment is at Via degli Ibernesi, 23, which is right in the "crook" of the street, on the east-north side.

There's only one drawback to the apartment which I can see, but one that might be viewed as a positive to others. The windows face an internal courtyard so there's no view or terrace - but that also means it's a very QUIET apartment. The building itself seems terrfically maintained: on the links below you can see pictures of the entrance corridor (on the Homelidays site) and the internal courtyard with new elevator is shown on both links - and to me the unit itself looks very nice. On the HomeAway site it currently has 23 very good reviews and on the UK Homelidays site it's currently showing 16 positive testimonials.

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p491386

http://www.homelidays.co.uk/ro...t-flat-346204en1.htm

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
Buonasera Jady!

Good find! Lovely apartment! Seems to have everything you would want including that all important washing machine in the bathroom. Maybe not as much light as I like, as I'm one of those rooftop terrace folks BUT I love Via degli Ibernesi. I've book marked it...

I walked Via degli Ibernesi several times this Spring ~ quiet little dogleg before you hit Grillo and crawl on up to Via Nazionale. I even took a drink from that nasoni at the top of the stairs.

Grazie!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Buonasera to you too! Smile

There's another I've found on this street, and I've seen it listed on many sites over the years. It's an attic apartment, on the 2nd floor without an elevator. To me the pictures make it seem to be a dark apartment, but it's described as "sunny". But the reason I'm posting it for you is that it has 2 balconies. (The address is Via degli Ibernesi, 11). - I'm not considering it because it's too pricey for me.

This first link to its Airbnb listing shows the best price and the most recent reviews:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/343883

http://www.venere.com/vacation...-apartment/#overview

http://www.romeby.com/forumattic/

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
WOW! The queen of links Queen Pauline strikes again!

The Delizioso attico apartment looks gorgeous! Love those terraces! A washer AND a dryer! I'm height challenged, so the slopping attic roof would not be a problem. 48steps? No big deal, my last apartment had 75!

This one gets a Star

Grazie!

Traveler
posted Hide Post
We have booked apartment #500 on Via Cimarra with Roman Reference for next June/July. It has a terrace & washing machine! Our essentialsfor a 2 week stay. We stayed with the same company this year in apartment #380 on Via Ciancaleoni. We loved this apartment & the only reason we are not staying there again is the lack of washing machine (& maybe the 4 flights of stairs - we are not getting any younger!)We didn't do a review on Slow travel as we felt the existing review couldn't be bettered apart from the fact that I'm sure the bed has been replaced!! Before we stayed in Monti this year I was fully expecting that our next trip to Rome would be in a new area but after experiencing Monti we feel we had 'arrived home' & there was no question that we would stay there again

Slow Traveler
Picture of anita1956
posted Hide Post
Heidi,

Here is the link to our apartment which is exclusively rented to Untours, the company we're using. While we won't get the exact address for another couple weeks it appears I'm mistaken. We had originally booked an apartment on Via Baccina but I forgot that I changed to another apartment later on which is located on Via degli Zingari which looks like good news, placing us a little closer to the gelateria Fatamorgana perhaps Smile

quote:
Ciao Anita 1956!

Buon viaggio!

Anita
=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
In an effort to consolidate our collective knowledge, and also since I'm using this thread as my personal "fileroom" of all things Monti related, here's Eating in Monti - on Monday

And since this thread lacks pizzerie I'm grateful to take the suggestion made on the thread linked above and add it here:

Alle Carrette Pizzeria
From Elizabeth Minchilli's blog: our local pizza joint: pizzeria alle carrette
From Food in Rome (this isn't a good review): Alle Carrette Pizzeria
From Via dei Gourmet (in Italian): Alle Carrette
From Rome File: Roman Pizza

Address: Via della Madonna dei Monti, 95
The link brings you to a streetview looking down Via MdM towards the pizzeria (there is no streetview available for the actual location).
Telephone: 06 6792770

The place seems to be on Facebook and shows a Bing map with the address "Vicolo le carrette".

According to the "Via dei Gourmet" link it is open daily.

But "Rome File" says: Only open in the evenings, 19.30-midnight. Closed Monday

And here's my ignorant question that I'm hoping one of you experts might address. I see on E.Minchilli's post linked above mention of getting a "pizza to go". Is it possible to call ahead and order a pizza that I'll then come pick up? Or do I need to go to the pizzeria and order in person? And can I get fritti to go? And bacala?

- The reason I like take-out, and why my "dining options" above consists solely of pizza al taglio and tavola caldo-like places, is that traveling alone and being shy to begin with makes me too self-conscious and uncomfortable to dine at restaurants by myself. And up to this point, it's even made me too intimidated to attempt to order a pizza for take-away (out of fear that I'll ask this at the wrong type of restaurant, or that I'll ask the wrong staff member, or that my Italian will be incomprehensible, etc!). I like pizza al taglio - but the idea of getting a fresh pizza made to order vs the stuff that sits on the counter for hours and merely gets reheated when purchased - sure sounds preferable!

So if one of you kind souls could please enlighten me on this seemingly easy task of how one would order take away at Alle Carrette or at a similar pizzeria - I'd be really grateful. Blushing

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
In googling the Alle Carrette pizzeria I found another general guide to Monti - which seems pretty good to me.

(Interesting side note: on the "See and Do" page under "Eating Out", it mentions Alle Carrette, and Trattoria Monti, La Carbonara, etc, but says the resources to use are the blogs by Katie Parla and Elizabeth Minchilli).

Monti - Rome's 'it' neighbourhood

Slow Traveler
Picture of Heidi
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if one of you kind souls could please enlighten me on this seemingly easy task of how one would order take away at Alle Carrette or at a similar pizzeria - I'd be really grateful. Blushing

First, thanks for linking Eating in Monti- on Monday to this thread ~ makes sense.

Jady shy? Never would have guessed from your posts. I must say I am getting less shy when traveling. My ridiculous blunders make for good stories later. But I do get intimidated about asking for food to go ~ as in a "doggie" bag after stuffing myself until I can eat no more. I ask with a smile ~ Andare ? (to go?) or to take food away ~ per portare a case. (to take home). I think they forgive me any social faux pas, as I am so obviously a tourist.

Jady, as to eating solo here's a Chowhound discussion about solo female diners in Roma. I do cook in my apartment and eat in after a long day BUT I would hate to miss out on the Roma dining out experience or strolling through Roma in the evenings. Take a deep breath and give it a try. Cool

I take a book Bookworm or my iPad to keep me company when I dine out. When I mentioned this to Elizabeth Minchilli when we were doing a tour, she was horrified... I failed to tell her I don't read while eating if I'm at a more upscale restaurant. I go a bit early increasing my chances of a table OR I've made my dinner reservations during the lunch opening.

This year I discovered enoteca dinning. They open earlier than restaurants and offer homemade small plates or full menu dinners with your wine. I'll be researching more enotecas for my next trip. It was a comfortable, rewarding dinning experience... alone.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I stayed next door to Pizza Leonina, and I loved it. No memory if it is open on Mondays. Do be aware that it is strictly pizza al taglio, served from square slabs behind the counter for take-out as opposed to round pizzas served at tables; they don't have any tables.

That being said, I simply loved their varieties. Onion, artichoke, mmm. I think they do sell those little fried goodies as well.

So Pizza Leonina is perfect for taking back to the apartment for reheating or just chomping as-is.

Yrs, Robert

Posts: 1180 | Location: Santa Monica, California | Registered: 23 March 2002Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Barbara (and Art)
posted Hide Post
Thanks for linking the threads - I'm starting to get excited about "my" new neighborhood! I'm hoping that sandrac will know someplace we can go to on Monday.

Posts: 6581 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 29 June 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara (and Art):
Thanks for linking the threads - I'm starting to get excited about "my" new neighborhood! I'm hoping that sandrac will know someplace we can go to on Monday.

If you're still looking for places to get take-out on Monday on your way back from the Colosseo, all these places will be open:

quote:
Originally posted by Jady:

Pizza al taglio, sandwiches, take-out, pastries, pane

Antico Forno ai Serpenti (closes at 2pm on Sundays)
Mentioned in these blogs post:
ParlaFood New Openings On Via dei Serpenti in Rome
GT Food and Travel Antico Forno ai Serpenti – Pane Pizza Biscotti
Google maps
Via dei Serpenti 122

Tricolore (closed Sunday)
Mentioned in the ParlaFood post above and here:Tricolore Opens in Rome’s Monti District
And here Pizza Urbana: Bonci a Tricolore
Google maps:
Via Urbana, 126, Roma

Panificio Monti (I haven't been able to figure out if they're open Sundays)
Mentioned in ParlaFood here Ciambella al Cioccolato
and here Rome’s Best Pizza
And in this NYTimes article by Katie Parla:
In Season: Artichokes in Rome
Google maps:
Via Urbana 22

Piadineria (open Sunday til 10:30pm)
Recommended by Elizabeth Minchilli in the article posted above: Rome Monti Where to Eat
Google maps:
Via del Boschetto 98

Pizzeria Leonina
Recommended in that same Elizabeth Minchilli post above
Yelp reviews
Google maps:
Via di Leonina 84

Shawarma Station (I'm a fan of falafel)
From ParlaFood: Shawarma Station, Rome
And this listing says it's open daily Shawarma station
Google maps:
Via Merulana 271

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Jady shy? Never would have guessed from your posts...

It's easy to sound confident in cyberspace! Big Grin

Thanks for your post and the link Heidi, and yes, you're right! I need to get "over it". And I'm working on it. (My last attempt was in a restaurant in Paris on a Saturday night. It didn't go very well!)

Anyway, I still would love to know the "correct" procedure of ordering a to-go pizza from one of those authentic, only open at night, pizzerie with wood-burning ovens - like Alle Carrette...