Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Rome Questions, Holy Week

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Rome Questions, Holy Week Login/Join 
Slow Traveler
posted
Hello.I'm visiting Italy next month(once more).
I will visit Turin on the occasion of the world championships of figure skating,Pisa and Rome for the Holy Week.I would like to ask you this.
I've read that you need tickets in order to attend the celebrations in Saint Peter's Basilica and Square.I also found this web address http://www.vatican.va/various/...en/biglietti_en.html
in order to get the tickets,but still don't know what to write.
There are many masses(Maudy Thursday,The Way of Cross,Saturday's night celebration,Easter Sunday).I really don't know what to write and what to expect.
Does anyone know anything more?
And something else.The Vatican's museums are open during the Holy Week?(I think they are closed only on Easter Sunday but i could be wrong...)
If you have any information on these please say something.By the way what in your opinion i should not miss in Rome during the Holy Week?(I'm talking about the celebrations,not for Rome in general...After all i have been there some times...)
Thank you in advance,
Antonis,
Athens,Greece.

((edited to re title thread))

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Amy,

Posts: 137 | Location: Athens,Greece. | Registered: 29 January 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Amy
posted Hide Post
You can see the Mass schedule for Holy Week on this page and th page you referred to here tells you what to request in your letter or phone call. The Vatican Museum Calendar is available from the Vatican Museum website.

Amy in MA
Destination Anywhere

"A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings."--Sa'di, Gulistan (1258)

Posts: 11692 | Location: Newton (outside Boston), MA | Registered: 17 June 2001Report This Post
Slow Traveler
Picture of Dori
posted Hide Post
Log onto the Vatican.va website. . Click on Prefecture of the Papal Household.

Download the request form for Liturgies.

Complete one form for each Mass you would like to attend. Print after completing form.

Wednesday of Holy week the Pope has a General Audience at 10:30 am in Piazza SanPietro.

Holy Thursday is a Crism Mass in the morning at St Peter's Basilica

Holy Thursday,Mass of the Lord's Suppper in the pm is a Mass at St. John Lateran at 5:30

Good Friday 5:30 pm service of the Passion of the Lord at St Peter's Basilica

Good Friday no ticket required at the Colloseum for 10:30 pm Stations of the Cross

Easter Vigil very difficult to obtain tickets.

The Prefect of the Papal household is
Rev Msgr James Harvey.

Request tickets you would like separately.

Fax to the Vatican Fax # on the form.

You will either be notified by mail or by FAX so list your fax #.

This notification states you must bring the notification to the Bronze Bernini doors that allow you into the Papal Palace. The office to pick up your tickets is probably the 2-3rd door on the right.

Don't expect to be seated at the Masses unless you arrive very early.But standing is not a problem either.

I attended all Masses last year during Holy Week and it was profoundly meaningful

Posts: 177 | Location: Brookline,Massachuseatts | Registered: 01 June 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Amy and Dori,Dori and Amy thank you for your answers.Dori you really helped me very much.I hope everything works just fine.
Thank you again.
Antonis.

Posts: 137 | Location: Athens,Greece. | Registered: 29 January 2006Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Dori,i forgot to ask you something.Do i have to get the tickets the day before the mass,because i will arrive in Rome on Thursday 1st April and who knows if i find the ticket office open or closed...
And do i have to get a ticket for the mass of Easter Sunday at St Peter's Square and the Urbi et Orbi blessing?
Thank you again...

Slow Traveler
Picture of Dori
posted Hide Post
The Masses on Holy Thursday are at 9:30 am at St Peter's and 5:30 pm at St. John Lateran, the church of the Bishop of Rome- Pope Benedict.

The service only on Good Friday will require a ticket. It is at St. Peter's at 5:30 pm.

Usually the Papal Palace at St. Peter's will be open during Holy Week for many to procure their tickets.

With your acceptance letter from the Prefect, just go to the Bronze doors to the right of saint Peter's at the end of the right curved portico. There will be a Swiss Gurad there, showhim your acceptance and go into the Papal Palace to obtain your Mass tickets.

Regards, Easter Sunday outdoor Mass the web site will let you know if your need a ticket.

You could also go on the Santa Susanna website and email them. It is the American Church in Rome, but I am sure they will answer your questions. They are always very helpful.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brookline,Massachuseatts | Registered: 01 June 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Dori,
you don't know how much you have helped me.
Thank you so much.
Antonis.