Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  Italy    Meeting place in Termini Station

Moderators: Andrew, Doru, Jonathan, TourMama

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Meeting place in Termini Station Login/Join 
posted
I'll be meeting up with my travel companion at Termini station, and I'm looking for a recommendation on where we should plan to meet. Is there a good (visible, safe) cafe in the station that someone can recommend? I'm afraid with customs at the airport, I'll have a few hours to waste, so I'm looking for someplace half pleasant!

Any help would be appreciated.

Slow Traveler
Picture of JoanneH
posted Hide Post
McDonalds downstairs that way if you have time to kill you can look at the shops till time to meet

Slow Traveler
Picture of Starlings
posted Hide Post
There is a good coffee shop on the mezzanine level (I think it is called Momento) with views down to the train platforms and arrival/departure boards-- tables inside the shop and along the mezzanine hall. Loos nearby. Get a newspaper from one of the shops and spend a pleasant few hours watching the world go by.

Posts: 200 | Location: Eastern Canada | Registered: 11 March 2004Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Café Moka on the track 24 platform, which the Leonardo Express from the airport uses.

Posts: 7859 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help? This is map of the Termini uppermost level.

Posts: 5405 | Location: St Paul, MN | Registered: 10 February 2006Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
I think that's the track level, which isn't the uppermost; there's a mezzanine level above it. On that map, the grandistazioni.it site (which I guess is the source of the map) shows Café Moka just beyond the head of track 24, in the big gray block on the left.

Posts: 7859 | Location: Midwest U.S. | Registered: 22 February 2004Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
The other map I have of Termini has the Metro stops on it, so I though this was the lower level where they are.

Posts: 5405 | Location: St Paul, MN | Registered: 10 February 2006Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
This part of the map says that is the mezzanine level of Termini

Slow Traveler
Picture of Starlings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragonpat:
This part of the map says that is the mezzanine level of Termini

Right- the Momento cafe I mentioned above is just above the words "Galleria Centrale"-- the seating is inside and around the outside of that box- you can look down onto the main hall from the outside tables. For me, it is the most peaceful location in Termini, making it a good spot for a layover. The lower (subway) level is mayhem; there is a grocery store down there, though-- you may find that helpful/ interesting.

BTW, there is a pretty good 2-story bookshop just at the Cinqucento entrance, right around the word "altrio" on the mezzanine map. Reasonable English selection, including travel guides.

Posts: 200 | Location: Eastern Canada | Registered: 11 March 2004Report This Post

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
I recall, and the map seems to confirm, that there are only stairs, not escalators, to the mezzanine, and I remember them being narrow stairs, so it wouldn't be easy to take luggage there.

Slow Traveler
Picture of Alice Twain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew:
there are only stairs, not escalators, to the mezzanine

There are escalators too. The one time I had to go up there they were broken, but there they were!

Alice Twain
--
A Typesetter's day 3.0: Blog.

Posts: 10690 | Location: Milano, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I will just have a backpack with me, so I think it'll work out perfectly! Thank you all SO much for your help!

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
there's a mezzanine level above it. On that map, the grandistazioni.it site (which I guess is the source of the map)

This is probably whay I was confused. I had never been to the mezzanine level of Termini. All the American Mezzanines I know about were beween the main floor (ground) and the first floor European (between the first and second floor American). I had always presumed that there was some incomplete floor between the metro level and the street level that I had never seen. I had thought the root word for Mezzanine was meso which means "between".

Moderator/Hero-2009

Slow Traveler
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Yes, the mezzanine is between the ground floor and several floors of offices (above) where the public doesn't usually go.

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
If it's not too late, I found this pdf that shows the shops on the Primo Piano or first level:

Roma Termini

See Plan of Station on the right (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)