Slow Travel Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  TRAVEL  Hop To Forums  North America    Peter Luger-Brooklyn - Is is worth it?

Moderators: teaberry

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Peter Luger-Brooklyn - Is is worth it? Login/Join 
Slow Traveler
posted
Hi...
Hubby has always wanted to go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn ...is it worth it?

We plan to go to NYC in December for the weekend...and would like to have dinner at Peter Luger's. We will stay in Manhattan ... can anyone tell me approx. how much a taxi would be to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn?

Thanks!
Karen

Posts: 436 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 26 January 2005Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
Ah, Peter Lugar. I grew up 3 blocks from Peter Lugar and never knew about the restaurant till a friend from Connecticut took me there when I was an adult.

The steak is terrific, the service mediocre and the atmosphere is fun. I don't remember there being any vegetables on the menu, but that may have changed. If you decide to go I advise getting a reservation as they can get pretty crowded.

The restaurant is just on the other side of the Williamsburg Bridge. The J and M trains stops 2 blocks away, and the 39 bus fromDelancy street goes across the bridge and stops 3 blocks away. or can do as we did as kids, walk over the Williamsburg Bridge. Cab prices will depend upon where in Manhattan you are staying.

You might want to spend some time exploring the neighborhood, it is still a Hassidic area and across the street from the restaurant is the old Williamsburgh Bank. It is hard to remember that this area was one of the riches places in NY in the mid 1800s (think sugar, oil, and beer money pouring in ).

Regards,
Sheryl born in Brooklyn, but now living in Manhattan

Posts: 93 | Location: New York City | Registered: 25 November 2007Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Peter Luger: Is it (still) worth it?

has got to be one of the most debated topics in New York food tourism.

I even have an opinion -- and I'm vegetarian!

My advice?

Go, just so you'll have your own ferociously held opinion, positive or negative.

(And yes, they have vegetables, standard steakhouse ones: a sliced tomato and onion salad, french fries, creamed spinach, etc. Stick to the basics. But the steak is really the sole reason for going.)

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but the steak is IT. There are no sauces, there's no cocktail menu, not really any appetizers, I don't remember desserts being memorable, not much atmosphere, you sit at shared tables. Yet people keep talking about it.

It's a quirky place. It's not exactly fine dining. It's a very large check. It's an interesting New York experience.

I'm not the person to ask if it's a good steak. You can look to the hundreds of reviews for that.

Interesting? Definitely. Worth it is up to you.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 04 September 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone go to the Palm anymore? When I was still eating all kinds of meat, and working east midtown, it was wonderful. That was decades ago, and I know that since then Palm has branched out and become a kind of "chain" restaurant. But unless you are staying downtown in Manhattan, it's certainly easier to get to.

(Of course, I was born in the Bronx so I consider Brooklyn practically a foreign country. And enemy (Dodger) territory to boot.)

Slow Traveler
Picture of lesfaye
posted Hide Post
Keanes in mid-town is great...my husband had the mutton chop, it was huge and very good...lovely old NYC steakhouse.

Posts: 2083 | Location: Seattle for now...Mexico in Feb then England for a good long stay.... | Registered: 02 May 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of Doug S & Judith G
posted Hide Post
I've been to Luger's and to The Palm. Both are equally good but they'll take a charge card at The Palm but not at Luger's!

Luger's is different... large steaks, sliced tomatoes with sweet onion slices equally as large as the tomato. There is creamed spinach and for dessert... fresh apple strudel with FRESH whipped cream. It's a cardiologists nightmare but oh so worth it. Scrubbed oak tables for the decor.

The Palm... which is my favorite restaurant.. serves great steaks and with great service. The staff knows about EVERYTHING on the menu and will never steer you wrong.

Now, when I get the luxury to get to Manhattan, as much as I'd like to go back to Luger's, I'll head to the Palm or the Palm Too across the street.

Marian... I'm with you... Brooklyn is foreign, especially for a boy from the Bronx!!

Doug

Posts: 2354 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: 18 May 2005Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
I lived around the corner for a couple years and would walk by all the time and see the crowds. I have never been as I do not eat steak. However, my brother and another friend are huge steak eaters and they both swear by Peter Luger, for the food as much as the old school atmosphere. It is an experience. My brother also likes Sparks because of the history of the mafia hit that took place there. But that's another topic, altogether!

If you go, bring lots of cash. They take cash and Peter Luger charge card only!

That area of Williamsburg has changed greatly over the past decade. Bedford Avenue (the main drag) has tons of nice shops, restaurants, etc so it is indeed a nice neighborhood to wander in now.

Posts: 1412 | Location: NY/NJ | Registered: 11 July 2003Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help and advice... we were lucky, someone cancelled and we were able to make a reservation at Peter Luger's...will go in a couple of weeks. As I said, hubby has always wanted to go there... he has eaten at many famous steak houses all over the world... but has heard that Peter Luger's is the best and wants to try it. After we eat there, I will report back to let you know how we liked it.

We will be staying near Times Square... so, how much do you think a taxi would be from there to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn?

Kelly, you said the area is nice ... glad to hear that, b/c some reviews say the area is sketchy ... would it be safe for us to take the subway there and walk a few blocks as has been suggested above? Then maybe we could take a taxi back to our hotel.

We will be in NYC for the weekend... Peter Luger's is Friday night... any suggestions for dinner on Saturday??? Please make it a more modestly priced suggestion... Luger's is not our standard fare... we like all types of food... but especially like Italian.

Thanks again!
Karen

Slow Traveler
Picture of Doug S & Judith G
posted Hide Post
Karen,

Cab in/Cab out to Luger's. It's not the greatest of neighborhoods so you really don't want to walk around the area at night.

Don't have any idea on cab cost as it's been years since I've done it.

However to save costs, you could take the subway to South Street or Wall ST area and get a cab from there... be less money.

Doug

Posts: 2354 | Location: Winter Park, FL | Registered: 18 May 2005Report This Post
Traveler
posted Hide Post
As Doug suggested, if you want to cut down on the cost of a cab to Peter Lugars, you can take a subway to Houston Street or Broadway Lafayette (Wall Street is too far south).

The neighborhood has changed much in the last few years. With a 1/2 million dollar condos down the block, I would say the it is safe enough to have dinner, especially on Friday night when the neighborhood is alive with young people heading to clubs in north Williamsburg.

This is map of the area with some of the highlights

Sheryl

Posts: 93 | Location: New York City | Registered: 25 November 2007Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Doesn't everyone in Brooklyn use a "car service"?

Or am I dating myself?

It's like a cab but flat rate and more predictable. It's not the same thing as a limo.

They use them in the outer boros where you're not likely to flag down a cab on the street.

Posts: 278 | Registered: 04 September 2005Report This Post

Moderator Emeritus

Slow Traveler
Picture of Colleen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by karenb1:
We will be in NYC for the weekend... Peter Luger's is Friday night... any suggestions for dinner on Saturday??? Please make it a more modestly priced suggestion... Luger's is not our standard fare... we like all types of food... but especially like Italian.
I haven't eaten dinner at Mario Batali's LUPA, but had a wonderful lunch there last summer. The osteria is small, so reservations are essential. We started with several "small plates" to share, and then each had an entree. I don't remember the exact bill total, but it was reasonable for the food quality and good service. (You can see menu items and prices on the website.)

Closer to Times Square, I can also recommend Trattoria dopo Teatro. It has a fairly traditional Italian menu, with a few specialties. The food was well prepared and flavorful, and the service was attentive but not pushy. They have a decent grappa menu, if you're into that sort of thing. Wink

Posts: 16402 | Location: The Beautiful San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 06 August 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
You can easily take the J,M,Z train there. It is about 4 blocks straight up Broadway from the subway exit. Or you can head over to the neighborhood a little early, take the L train to Bedford Avenue and walk down Bedford to Broadway. That is the main drag, has tons of shops, etc and would be a nice stroll. There will definitely be a lot of people around and that part of Williamsburg is very safe.

You should have no problem getting a cab or car service when you leave. I wouldn't take the subway back as you may find yourself waiting quite a while later at night.

I like Lupa too. Or check out Il Buco, Malatesta, Perbacco. They are all good too. Il Buco is the most expensive out of those. The rest are average for NYC - not cheap but not expensive either.

Posts: 1412 | Location: NY/NJ | Registered: 11 July 2003Report This Post

Slow Traveler
Picture of L Jones
posted Hide Post
We really liked Po, a small Italian place on Cornelia St. in Greenwich Village. We loved everything about it. It was the culinary highlight of our last trip to NYC.
Linda

Posts: 1591 | Location: Near Chicago | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your help and advice...

I have spent part of today trying to obtain reservations at many of those recommended... and the following list is where I have had success... which would you choose?

Beppe
Convivio
Craft
DaAndrea
Kefi
Malatesta
Orsay
Po

Also on "wait list" at Grammercy Tavern...

Please let me know what you think of these places... and feel free to add any more we should look at.

Thanks so much...
Karen

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
Hi...
Just an update on steakhouses... my sister and her family of 6 just ate at The Palm (the original one) this past Friday night ... they were not impressed. They thought the food & ambience were just "ok"...but were very disappointed in the service, as the attitude and temperament of their waitress put a damper on the whole experience.

Karen

Forum Admin

Slow Traveler
Picture of Kim
posted Hide Post
Karen, just take note of what Doug said, Peter Luger's doesn't take charge cards (last I checked, they do have their own though). I've never been though I have friends that swear by it. Actually, I'm more of a Smith & Wollensky (sp) girl as it was a across the street from where my Dad worked.

Posts: 23890 | Location: NJ USA | Registered: 16 June 2001Report This Post

Slow Traveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Palm (the original one) this past Friday night ... they were not impressed.

Well, my experience is far from recent. One of the last times I was at the Palm, while I was still a full-time editor at a physics magazine (not after 1973) we took I. I. Rabi, the Nobel Laureate, to lunch there, making it fairly memorable. Also memorable because ---- while eating a very expensive steak and trimmings --- he deplored the fact that our magazine took advertising from physics-related companies. We wondered (to ourselves) who he imagined was paying for his lunch.